Head of People
Following an online written test, the first interview (either face-face or virtual) will be provisionally scheduled to take place during the week May 6. Candidates who qualify will be invited to the second interview (face to face interview) which will be held the week in May 20. An alternative time may be possible on negotiation.
We are looking for an exceptional person for a key role: Head of People. This is not a traditional human resources position. We are searching for a dynamic talent leader to serve as Head of People to develop and lead best-in-class policies and benefits, recruitment, learning and leadership development programming that will encourage staff wellbeing, inclusion and resilience.
The Head of People will work closely with Senior Management Team, Office Directors, and the entire organization to preserve and enhance Crisis Action’s unique culture. The person will provide guidance to ensure Crisis Action’s global team remains a fantastic place to work, as well as initiate and drive the organization’s Human Resources (HR) projects.
The Head of People will manage the Human Resources Manager and work closely with the finance/human resource assistant (who reports to the Finance and Operations Director). The person will be responsible for improving Crisis Action’s HR systems and driving forward a range of HR projects to make Crisis Action a better place to work. The Head of People is supported by the Human Resources Manager in implementation of the projects and undertaking day to day HR activities.
You are a proactive people’s person and you like to get your hands dirty. You will be comfortable in a fast-paced but fun and highly supportive environment that is laser-focused on impact. You will be supremely organised and adept at ruthless prioritisation. You understand the value of empathy and kindness and impeccable delivery. You will need to hit the ground running and be ready to engage with your new colleagues to harness their resources and ambition.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Help to ensure we identify, attract and retain the superstars we need to fulfil our mission.
- Work with the Senior Management Team and Office Directors in ensuring high performance and advising on the application of special measures to address underperformance. Where necessary, assisting with performance improvement plans and dismissals.
- Lead on timely and important internal communications around organizational matters.
- Build pool of consultants and keep up to date so we can draw on external support as needed.
- Expert advice, guidance, support and delivery on a world-class suite of tools to ensure all staff are thriving and well.
- While all staff should go to their manager for support, you will also be available to provide pastoral care to all staff by acting as a sounding board to their concerns and supporting staff to find solutions.
- Champion diversity and inclusion across the organization.
- Lead, or assist in, the organization of Crisis Action’s biannual staff retreats.
Human Resources (HR) processes and policies
- Advising the Senior Management Team and Office Directors on key aspects of organizational HR strategy.
- Develop and update HR policies and processes according to best practice and employment legislation in each of the countries Crisis Action operates in to ensure Crisis Action is an excellent employer.
- Develop and lead on overall talent management strategy/HR Lifecycle including recruitment, onboarding, performance management, professional development, workforce and succession planning.
- Assist with recruitment across the organisation.
- Develop and regularly update staff handbook and all associated HR policies.
- Ensure all employees and consultants have valid contracts, terms and conditions.
- Ensure maintenance of confidential and secure HR records for all staff.
- Ensure Crisis Action’s compensation system is attractive for new talents, fair and helps retain existing staff.
- Lead implementation of Crisis Action’s Compensation Policy and ensure it is regularly updated.
- Drive implementation of HR related organizational projects and advise on areas for HR improvement.
Training and development
- Help to drive a culture of constant learning and improvement.
- Spot opportunities and needs for professional and personal development and ensure Crisis Action is cultivating superstars.
- Identify relevant high standard external training programs, and work with Senior Management Team and office directors to create internal training programs for the team to address knowledge and performance gaps and promote creativity.
- Help shape the vision for, and experience of, Crisis Action’s geographically dispersed work environment to ensure alignment with our culture and core values.
- Help to create an inviting, appreciative and cohesive team experience. Support in ensuring Crisis Action’s organizational culture is well captured and lived and breathed by the team.
- Provide expert input into, and deliver, creative solutions to improve Crisis Action’s unique culture.
- Championing a high-performance team.
- Lead employment/legal compliance in each market relating to all aspects of the human resources life cycle. Identify trends that could impact organizational objectives.
- Maintain close relations with pro bono lawyers across HR domain.
- Assist with employee safety, welfare, wellness and health. Working with internal security lead to ensure predictive and responsive systems are in place to ensure security of staff, offices and assets.
Essential skills and experience
- Leader who brings demonstrable experience in organizational change management, professional development, performance management, recruitment, team building, training etc.
- Experience in human resources and organizational development or similar area. Experience supporting wider people functions and leading people strategy and functions in a changing organization.
- Experience working in complex diverse, cross cultural and geographically dispersed organization.
- Excellent project manager and hands on experience implementing people projects.
- High levels of professionalism, efficiency and reliability.
- Experience supporting organizational culture, process change and championing employee engagement. Understanding of the value of organizational culture and how to promote it.
- Good pragmatic judgement to lead a balance between flexibility and consistency in line with organizational priorities, policies and values.
- Ability to innovate and devise ambitious ideas that inspire teams. Ambitious person with a ‘can do’ attitude, prepared to challenge thinking and status quo to offer creative and innovative ideas to improve the organization.
- Dexterous communicator who understands importance of collaboration to achieve shared solutions to deliver organization goals.
- Self-aware individual with humility and resilience.
- A great listener and empathizer.
The following would be an advantage
- Fluency in languages other than English e.g. French or Arabic
- Knowledge of local labour laws in relevant countries that Crisis Action operates in.
- Experience working with an organization that deals with conflict or emergency situations