Accounting and Finance Manager
Interested candidates should submit:
- a detailed CV of no more than four pages (in English)
- a motivation letter expressing their interest in this position, how their experience makes them good candidates for this position, and the earliest start date
- two professional references with full and up to date contact details (references provided should be able to speak on behalf of the candidates’ abilities).
All to be sent via email to: [email protected]
Deadline: by end of Friday, July 28th, 2023
With the subject line: Accounting and Finance Manager
- Granted they have the skill and experience, cis and trans women, trans men, and gender non-conforming people are given priority hiring
- Applications without cover letters will not be considered
- If shortlisted, applicants will be contacted within one week of the closing of the application deadline in order to schedule for an interview.
We are looking for a part time (30 hrs/week) Accounting and Finance Manager to join our team at The A Project. The A Project, a non-profit non-governmental organization based in Lebanon, works on sexuality, gender justice, and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and we envision a society where women and gender non-conforming people’s sexuality and mental health are reclaimed, cared for, respected, recognized in their diversities, and not weaponized against us.
In your role as Accounting and Finance Manager you will ensure the financial control of The A Project through ensuring the implementation of strong finance policies, systems, processes, and ensuring the integrity of the general ledger by reviewing the trial balance and balance sheet reconciliations. You will provide financial support and assistance to Executive Director and Grant and Finance Manager, in the design of their budgets and accuracy of their reporting. This role is key in ensuring that organizational policies on finance and accounting are upheld within the complex operational environment in Lebanon today.
The A Project is a small team with a big membership base. Similarly, to the breakdown of our group, we particularly encourage cis and trans women, trans men, and gender non-conforming people to apply.
Objective 1: Accounting Management and Archiving
• Ensure the accuracy of the organization’s accountancy doing the proper controls: registrations, allocations, balances, etc.
• Ensure the management reporting requirements of the office are met, including accurate and timely monthly management accounts, quarterly forecasts and annual budgets and reports
• Ensure the most appropriate recording of all transactions in the accountancy, analyze and suggesting improvements for the organization’s accountancy (accounting codes, accounts, classes, etc.).
• Ensure the correct invoicing of all contracts, flagging any discrepancy or unusual figures to the Executive Director.
• Ensure the correct calculation of changing exchange rates.
• Liaise with the Executive Director on accountancy matters, analyze, correct the accountancy based on feedback.
• Ensure the Grants and M&E Manager is presented with up-to-date accounts based on the annual budget for donor reports and proposals
• Follow up and report the open accounts after the matching for the monthly and quarterly closure (suppliers and advances).
• Fixed asset registration, capitalization, and depreciation.
• Report monthly and quarterly accountancy closure and maintain them in relevant filing folders while notifying the Executive Director
• Ensure the closing before the 10th of each month in the organization’s accountancy operating system.
• Keep track of different donor accounting status
• Prepare and submit finances to auditors for organizational and project specific audits
• Review organizational and project-based audit reports for and write management response letters
• Alert the Executive Director if discrepancies are observed between documents in terms of financial information.
• Assist in projecting monthly/yearly office expenses.
• Report annual audit reports, current and prospective organizational budgets, and funding status to the Advisory Board.
• Updating accounting and finance tools and training staff on proper financial compliance.
• Supervise the correct implementation of the archiving in the department.
• Supervise the organization’s consolidation of different files for MoF, MOI, and NSSF.
Objective 2: Application of Lebanese rules and regulations
• Act as a focal point for tax related issues (VAT, NRT VAT exemption).
• Follow tax regulations and update the Executive Director in case of any changes in the legislation.
• Prepare and submit annual documents needed to ensure good financial records standing with banks, NSSF, MOI, and MOF
Objective 3: Finance, Compliance, and Cash Management
• Validate requisitions and orders ensuring budget availability in contracts and financial line.
• Manage the payroll and transportation payments of the office, via outsourced payroll providers where relevant, to ensure timely and accurate payments to staff.
• Process financial data entries into operating accounting system and maintain accounting records
• Ensure that the Expenditure Procedures of The A Project and donor-specific procedures have been respected.
• Ensure that all invoices meet internal standards of invoicing (date, supplier, name, address, contact details, quantity, specification, per unit and total price of items, signature, and stamp of supplier, should be legible if handwritten).
• Ensure that purchased orders are properly filled in with correct budget codes and a purchase dossier file number, and that they are properly recorded and followed up until payment. Inform relevant staff of data required on the invoices.
• Ensure timely and accurate recording of petty cash transactions.
• Ensure proper Cash Management at The A Project and support with its relationships with banks
• Support the development and update of tools relating to budgeting, finance, payments and cost coverage.
• Ensure that all tax rules and regulations (VAT, NRT, Daily Workers, etc.) are respected (invoices, registration in the accountancy, etc.).
• Inform the Executive Director if any discrepancies, non-respect of the procedures, ineligibility, or suspicious expenditures.
• Support all administrative activities such as maintenance, printing, procurement of supplies and equipment.
• Keep track on annual maintenance plan and follow up on the payments of scheduled maintenance requirements.
• Maintain an updated office inventory and procurement list.
• Scan and label all financial documents
• Maintain regular proper filing of financial transactions and documents, including annual statements of accounts
Objective 4: Security
• Respect the security rules specified in the organization and capital base security plan, see to it that the team complies with the security plan and perform the security management tasks that can be assigned in its protocols.
• Liaise with lawyer for good legal and financial documents upkeep when needed
• Communicate to the security managers of the working location any security related information or noncompliance with the security plan.
• Keep the confidentiality and security of all records and information gathered in the course of employment with The A Project.
• University Degree in Finance or Accounting
• Certified accountant
• Management of Accounting, Taxation and Cash
• Knowledge and hands on experience with QuickBooks, SAP or other Accounting Software (for non-profit)
• A minimum of 3-5 years’ work experience in accounting or finance, preferably in an NGO setting.
QUALIFICATIONS and KEY COMPETENCIES:
• Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and English.
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, with compulsory expertise in Excel
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to respond effectively to time sensitive demands and inquiries.
• Demonstrates outstanding interpersonal, problem solving and organizational skills
• Conduct work with the highest level of personal and professional integrity
• Experience in setting up and managing organizational systems and processes in finance, and accounting
• Experience of preparing and monitoring budgets and an ability to identify budget problems and solve them
• Able to work within systems and procedures, work effectively in a small team environment involving the sharing of information and at times sharing workloads