Request for Proposals for: Technical assistance for food safety and product development
The Association for the Protection of Jabal Moussa (APJM), hereinafter referred to as APJM, a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization, founded in 2007 with the mission to conserve Jabal Moussa UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and achieve the sustainable socio-economic development of its surrounding villages. APJM is a partner participating in the implementation of the Project “Cultural Routes for Sustainable Social and economic Development in Mediterranean, CROSSDEV” Reference number A_A 1 3_0090, financed in the framework of the ENI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme 2014-2020, Grant Contract No. 35/1312 of 29/08/2019.
- Subject of the call:
APJM is seeking an independent consultant, expert in food technology, to improve recipes and food safety of Jabal Moussa’s agro-food line, development of the new line of dried fruits and nuts, optimization of packing and packaging material, and overlook Jabal Moussa’s guesthouses cooking procedures and food safety measures.
- Project background and financing:
The project “Cultural Routes for Sustainable Social and economic Development in Mediterranean”, CROSSDEV, is financed by the European Union in the framework of the ENI CBC Mediterranean Sea Basin Programme 2014-2020.
The Project is implemented by the following entities:
- CISP Comitato Internazionale per lo Sviluppo dei Popoli, Rome - Italy
- Italy: Italian Ministry for Cultural Heritage, Cultural Activities and Tourism (MIBACT)
- Italy: Società Cooperativa Culture (CoopCulture)
- Jordan: The Royal Marine Conservation Society of Jordan (JREDS)
- Jordan: Jordan University of Science and Technology - JUST University
- Lebanon: The Association for the Protection of Jabal Moussa (APJM)
- Palestine: Masar Ibrahim Al Khalil (MIAK)
A.Review of facility plan and usage (design; workflow; food safety and quality control measures, hygiene measures)
1. Site visit to the production facility
2. Preparation of reports
- Reports on technical visits for quality assessment of existing products (including needed testing) and their production steps (production reports), starting with the purchase of raw material to reach the packaged end product.
1. Site visit during the production of each product (1 day for each product: thyme, tomato paste, vinegar, verjuice, jams, sundried rolls)
2. Preparation of production reports for each product
- Assessment of productivity and packaging of existing and new products.
1. Visit to the storage area to check the product packaging
2. Report assessing the strength and weaknesses of the packaging material
- Visit Jabal Moussa’s guesthouses to check the cooking hygiene measures procedures at the women’s kitchens, and give feedback.
1. Site visit to Jabal Moussa’s guesthouses
2. Preparation of feedback reports
- Assistance on the modality of storage and conservation of finished goods and raw material (zaatar, sumac, mint, laurel, sugar, sesame, salt, fruits): containers, premises, environmental conditions: temperature and humidity
1. Site visit to the storage facility
2. Preparation of SOPs concerning:
- receiving & storing raw materials
- storing end products
PHASE 2: Adaptation and development of optimized processes
- Report on suggested improvement measures and procedures (cleaning, testing, tools, equipment, improved testing instruments for jams and honey, etc…)
1. Preparation of a quality manual detailing cleaning procedures, personal hygiene practices, GMPs, etc.
2. Preparation of short brochures concerning hygiene practices in Arabic for the employees
- Technical assistance in the development of the new line of dried fruits and nuts (with site visit during production sessions) - report on production procedures
1. Site visits during the production of dried fruits and nuts
2. Preparation of production procedures
- Suggest adequate equipment, instruments and tools for the line of dried fruits and nuts (ex: nut cracker; fruit cutter; rolls cutter; fridge; hygrometer; vacuum machine…) or improvement of existing ones, based on budget and available space, as well as for our existing products
1. Preparation of a list for new /existing equipment needed for dried fruits/nuts
- Packaging of the final products: provide advice on packaging and its improvement (ex: vacuum, boiling, etc…) and the labelling data to be placed on the product.
1. Preparation of a report concerning the end product with suggestions concerning labels and packaging material
- Report on procedures/recipes and production strategy to follow for Jabal Moussa’s line of products (ex: cooking time, pH, ingredients, length of drying, humidity, etc…)
1. Preparation/optimization of recipes for all the Mouneh products
PHASE 3: Implementation and training
- Train guesthouses’ women for hygiene measures to be taken for food storage and cooking procedures for food safety quality control.
1. One training session
2. One follow up visit to monitor the respect of GMPs and GHPs in the facility and guesthouses
- Provide two training sessions on food safety: to agro-food producers and to food services providers (guesthouses, artisanal bakeries/فرن, etc…)
1. Two training sessions
Language of the Contract, Reports and Communication:
The language of the contract and of all written communication, including reports, between the consultant and APJM, shall be English.
- Holder of a PhD degree in food progressing or related field
- At least 3 years of experiences in food and beverages processing
- Previous experience of working with the tourism / conservation sector is a plus
- Flexible and able to work under pressure to deliver in a timely manner
- Preferably from the local villages nearby Jabal Moussa
How to apply
Interested food experts are requested to send their offers to: [email protected] with the email subject “CROSSDEV Food Consultancy”, including:
- Resume or portfolio, highlighting relevant experience
- Offer in USD through filling the table attached