Finance and procurement Officer-Part time
Terms of reference
Finance and procurement Officer-Part time
Kindly apply only if you have solid experience in NGO/CSO work. Previous applicants don’t need to reapply. Deadline for applications is July 23, 2023. However, due to the urgency of the position, Assabil Association holds the right to interview, select, and send a job offer prior to the closing date.
The successful candidate must have I/NGO work experience, and must have previous experience in budget and cash-flow management.
This is a part-time position. Kindly apply only if you are interested in a part-time position and can join the team immediately.
Interested candidates should send their Resume to [email protected] with the subject: Finance and Procurement Officer.
Emails sent without a subject will be discarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be assessed and interviews will be conducted on rolling-basis.
Starting date: as soon as possible
"Pilot project to support community solidarity actors working in favor of education and youth in the current crisis context in Lebanon"
February 2023 – June 2024 (17 months) with a possibility of extension
Assabil is a non-governmental organization founded in 1997 to promote reading and free access to culture. By creating public libraries as non-sectarian and open spaces for cultural exchange and providing access to information and reading, Assabil filled a void in postwar Lebanon.
The 1998 municipal elections prompted Assabil to organize a national conference the following year to lobby for public reading and the creation of libraries in municipalities all over Lebanon – and to launch an effort to create a network of public libraries in the country.
Consultancy services for individuals and entities interested in establishing libraries
The present project, funded by Secours Catholique – Caritas France (SCCF), aims to develop and implement an innovative and transferable model for strengthening local solidarity actors in a complex crisis context. This objective will be pursued through the support of six Lebanese organisations in the pursuit and consolidation of their respective actions in favour of education and youth. This support will lead to the implementation and testing of a multi-actor cooperation framework.
Presentation of the local solidarity actors targeted by the project
The project involves six local civil society organisations, most of which operate on a voluntary basis and are deeply rooted in the community. They were selected based on a list of clear criteria established before their targeting, namely
- Their local, civil and civic identity;
- Their involvement in education and youth;
- Their commitment to the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality and independence;
- Their interest in the project and the multi-stakeholder framework it proposes;
- Their needs in terms of financial support and organisational and/or technical assistance;
- Their ability and willingness to be clearly and transparently accountable for the resources they will receive from the project;
- Their ability to continue in the communities they are assisting after this first pilot phase of the project in the event that funding from the SCCF ceases.
Main work interfaces
- ASSABIL Executive Coordinator
- Project Coordinator
- ASSABIL Financial and Admin officer
- Partner organizations
- Funding Agencies (occasionally)
The overall objective of this role is overseeing and managing the procurement and finance functions of the Community Initiatives project. This role involves the following:
Mission 1: Budget and Expenditure Management
- Assisting PC in drawing up global budget and for carrying out a regular reconciliation between expenditure committed and the budget forecast.
- Share alert points to the PC in case of overconsumption/under--consumption of the partners’ budgets
- Management of administrative expenditures (collecting offers, coordination with suppliers, assistance in overall expenditure planning and budgeting)
- Ensure the preparation and the filing of vouchers, their accounts allocation and the recording of entries in Excel and specialized accounting software.
- Coordinate with external auditors
- Be responsible for the documentation and archiving of all supporting documents related to all expenditures of the project.
- Assisting PC in preparation of contracts for outside experts and consultants
Mission 2: Cash-flow management:
- Assistance in the cash-flow management to the PC: In coordination with the project coordinator, draw up monthly forecast, optimizing the cash-flow, evaluate the project’s cash-flow requirements with the PC
- Be responsible for the management of cash-boxes of the organizations partners (available amount, balance checks,.. etc.).
- Manage cash movements, supplying the sites (transfers, advances), and the amounts in circulation, specifying the payment procedures (bank transfers, cheques, cash).
Mission 3: Monitor funding and expenditures
- Based on the budgets by activity and the global budget, draw up the budgets for expenditure monitoring
- Updating of Project Budget and Balances and communication thereof to Project Coordinator on a bi-monthly basis.
- Implementing monthly reconciliation with the bank statements and prepare forecast of expenditures for the coming 2 months.
- Producing the financial reports according to formats required and defined by funding bodies.
- Recording and documentation of incoming payments per account and project.
Mission 5: Administrative Tasks
- Manage Office Cash-box
- Administrative communication
- Be responsible for the presentation, circulation, filing and archiving of administrative files of the project.
- Manage the Stationary Stock of the project, organization, purchase, distribution, refill etc.
- Other administrative tasks as per needs
Education and knowledge required
- University degree in relevant field (Business, finance, economics)
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working, preferably with local or international NGO
- Computers: office pack, accounting software (preferably, training possible)
- Languages: English and Arabic, French is a plus..
- Proactive skills
- Inter-relational skills
- Team worker