Helem, is the first LGBTQIA+ rights organization in the Arab world, officially established in Beirut, Lebanon in 2001. Its mission is to lead the struggle for the liberation of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, Intersex, Transgendered, Queer (LGBTQIA+) and other people with non-conforming sexualities and/or gender identities in Lebanon and the SWANA region from all sorts of violations of their individual and collective civil, political, economic, social, and cultural rights. Our goal is to empower young LGBTQIA+ leaders to advocate for their own liberation. We seek to create initiatives and spaces where our communities can leverage unity through diversity and build power. We protect and support individuals with the resources to resist the harm caused by homophobia and transphobia. We empower our youth through education and community building, and we mobilize to change the laws, policies, and practices that deny us equality and reduce our quality of life.
Helem is seeking a skilled Copy Editor to review and refine various written materials, including but not limited to articles, reports, marketing collateral, and website content. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that all content is grammatically correct, error-free, and adheres to our organization's style guide. The Copy Editor will collaborate with our team to enhance the overall quality and clarity of our written materials.
- Review and edit written materials for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style consistency.
- Ensure content adheres to our organization's style guide and maintains a consistent tone and voice.
- Suggest improvements for clarity, flow, and readability.
- Consistency in the use of terminologies
- Adequate use of Gender-sensitive language in Arabic and English.
- Copy-edit and rewrite passages to improve clarity and readability.
- Ensure that all papers follow a similar, consistent structure.
- Proofread the text and correct spelling, grammar, syntax, and punctuation errors.
- Verify the consistency of information, such as dates and statistics.
- Unify the page layout, footnote, formatting, and bibliography styles to ensure a flawless, clean end-product.
- Make sure that the final manuals are written in a compelling and engaging style that is accessible to a diverse audience.
Qualifications and Work Experience:
- Advanced university degree in Arabic literature, translation, or other relevant fields;
- Excellent command of written and spoken Arabic and English.
- Proven experience as a Copy Editor or/and Translator or similar role. (Minimum of 2 years)
- Experience in working with international and/or local organizations.
- Familiarity with the terminologies used in the fields of gender and sexuality, human rights and medicine.
- Familiarity with the Lebanese context (legal, political, cultural, and social dimensions).
- Strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and writing conventions.
How to apply
All individuals interested in being part of this programming and who fit the criteria listed below should apply by sending an email to [email protected] & [email protected] under the subject “Copy Editors”.
Women, trans*, and gender non-conforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit your application before November 24, 2023
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials with the CV:
- A cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are a suitable candidate for this consultancy position.
- Your updated resume or curriculum vitae.
- A portfolio or samples of your previous copy editing work.
- Three professional references with contact information.