Call for Experts: Translators from/to English/Arabic, ad hoc basis
Lebanon Economic Reform and Infrastructure Investment (LERII) Programme
(Note – over the lifetime of the programme, the below job description may be changed by mutual consent to reflect changing programme needs and priorities)
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Objective of the Programme
LERII-TAF is a 4-year £10m programme funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) as a result of the UK’s pledge at the CEDRE Conference. The programme started in January 2020 and will run until January 2024. LERII-TAF offers demand driven technical assistance to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) within the Government of Lebanon that are responsible for implementing fiscal, structural and sectoral reforms. LERII-TAF will help MDAs identify and deliver successful economic reforms to mitigate the economic and financial crisis as well as the secondary impacts of COVID-19.
Scope of Work
LERII-TAF is currently building a roster of translators to be commissioned on ad hoc basis. Translators will be responsible for translating from/to English/Arabic LERII-TAF documents, reports, studies, factsheets, correspondence and other information materials.
Translators will be required to complete a translation assessment by LERII-TAF before inclusion in the roster.
- Translate texts pertaining to the wide range of technical subjects dealt with by LERII-TAF, as well as administrative, financial and legal documents, which may be highly sensitive and complex.
- Produce accurate and complete versions in the target language, making appropriate use of vocabulary and using commonly accepted or established equivalents for professional, scientific and technical concepts and terms.
- Translations must be to the highest international standard.
- Edit texts in the target language to ensure a style of presentation in conformity with LERII-TAF standards.
- Occasionally revise other translations.
- University degree in translation, languages or other professional translation credentials required
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience
- Perfect command of English and Arabic (native fluency or equivalent)
- Ability to produce rapid and accurate translations of documents dealing with a wide range of subject
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to seek help in order to clarify the meaning of difficult texts and to cooperate with authors to resolve problems posed by original texts
- Knowledge of computer-based tools, including word-processing software
- Good knowledge of editing and presentation standards
- Ability to work independently and meet strict deadlines
Supervision: Translators will report to the LERII-TAF Team Leader
Main office location: Beirut, Lebanon
How to apply
Please send an email with your CV (CV should be filled in the attached template otherwise it won't be considered), your motivation letter ( including your personal details, Phone number, email and address) and Translator in the subject line to [email protected] no later than 12th July 2020.