Economic Recovery Team Leader
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30th of August 2023
Interested? Apply here!
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC has been responding to various humanitarian crises in Lebanon since 2004, working with Palestinian, Iraqi and Syrian refugees. DRC received registration from the Ministry of Interior in 2011, and since then has focused primarily on responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon and the resulting impact on Lebanese host community. DRC Lebanon’s focus is to ensure that we are able to respond to critical emerging humanitarian needs whilst improve the living conditions of displacement-affected populations and contribute to the achievement of durable solutions. With an annual portfolio of $12million, and with approximately 200+ staff, DRC is focusing its response in protection and economic recovery (Ec-Rec) sector in Bekka, North Lebanon and Beirut. DRC is also contributing to the evidence base and coordination structures in country through our Evidence Generation and referral information management (RIMs) teams
About the job
The economic recovery team leader supervises the members of the Economic Recovery team in Bekaa, for its employability programming, market system programming and graduation approach program and is the EcRec Program’s focal person for partnership-related matters. He/she delivers technical support and guidance to the team for all the economic recovery related activities and coordinates all the aspects of the projects (program, MEAL, Budget, Logistic, Procurement, etc.). The activities under the responsibilities of the Economic Recovery Team Leader for Employability, under several projects, are: career counselling, decent work conditions sessions, life skills training, soft skills trainings, vocational trainings, work-based learnings, Cash for work. His/Her responsibilities under the Market system component encompasses Micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs support) and a Graduation Approach programming.
For all the activities and projects the Team Leader provides a timeline and planning of activities, ensures the quality of this planning, follow-up on the budget and all other technical aspects of the activities and projects.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manages the Economic Recovery team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure quality implementation of the Economic Recovery activities and ensure daily monitoring of activities and teams
- Programme delivery and technical support
- Lead the implementation of economic recovery programming in the field (including cash modalities therein) ensuring a high level of quality in line with DRC’s quality standards
- Support the development and update of sector strategies in close coordination with the Economic Recovery Manager
- Contribute to update/develop Standard Operating Procedures, in collaboration with the Economic Recovery Manager
- Engage with partners on the coordination and management of projects, and participate in the capacity building process of these partners from a technical standpoint when required
- Proactively identify programme related risks, supporting the identification and implementation of mitigation measures
- Provide technical and managerial training for staff as relevant, conduct performance evaluations, and design capacity building plans to support their development
- Line manage the Economic Recovery team, supporting them to implement the projects through day-to-day oversight and mentoring, including preparation of weekly action plans to deliver activities as per project proposals and targets
- Closely coordinate with DRC’s other sector managers for all relevant activities to ensure the implementation of DRC’s integrated approach and to make sure Protection is mainstreamed in all project activities
- Manage project work plans and ensure timely and proper implementation progress and monitor achievements (quantitatively and qualitatively) through field visits
- Manage project budgets and ensure proper management and tracking of the budget, with monthly forecast and ensure that expenses have been allocated to the correct budget lines
- Provide regular feedback to the Economic Recovery Manager on progress and achievements, lessons learned, gaps, issues and problems
- Oversee the preparation of relevant documents related to finance, procurement, administration and human resources, in line with the need of the projects and DRC internal procedures
Programme development and reporting
- Support the Economic Recovery Manager in the design of projects and development of Concept Notes and Proposals, including budgets, with the technical supervision of the technical coordinator
- Support the Economic Recovery Manager in developing the Programme Management Tool at the project kick-off and inception phase (budget forecast, workplan, procurement plan, HR plan) – to be updated throughout the project period
- Compile and verify data entered in the internal reporting system and information management system
- Consolidate inputs from the Economic Recovery team for reports to donors
Coordination and representation
- Represent DRC at Bekaa-level working groups and external meetings, as per request of the Economic Recovery Manager
- Liaise and coordinate with other NGOs and stakeholders at regional level
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Overseeing and supporting the Team in the mapping of EcRec actors at the field level,
- Supporting in initiating capacity assessment with partners, drafting the capacity-strengthening plan, and monitoring its implementation.
- Leading the program effort in organizing the kick-off and progress meetings with EcRec partners,
- Ensuring the quality of program activities implemented by the EcRec partners.
- Leading in organizing lessons-learnt workshops/meetings with EcRec Partners.
- Supporting in validating the EcRec partner reporting on activities.
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
To be successful in this role we expect you to have Master’s Degree in a related field, including: political science, international development, economics or other relevant field Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in Economic Recovery/Livelihoods working for an INGO
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Proven knowledge and experience in programming, specifically in market system support (business support), career counselling, decent work conditions, skills trainings, vocational trainings and work-based learning
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Full professional proficiency in Arabic
- Field experience
- Experience working in the Bekaa context is an advantage
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: Until February 2024
- Band/Level: G-Management
- Duty Station: Bekaa Lebanon
- Start date: September 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact [email protected]