Candidates should send their CV and cover letter, showing the person's motivational and expertise to [email protected]
Asmae’s action aims to support vulnerable children and their families by providing tailor-made and long-lasting support to local stakeholders working on education and child protection. Its vision, “A fair world which guarantees that children can live and grow with dignity within their environment, to become free women and men who contribute to society”, is broken down into four missions:
- Stimulate child development through a global approach. To do this, Asmae also works on family support by taking their environment into account;
- Build the capacity of local stakeholders involved in child development, boost cooperation amongst them, and maximize their social impact;
- Stand up for children by raising awareness and advocating;
- Experiment, disseminate, and share practices.
Background of Asmae in Lebanon
Asmae has been operating in Lebanon since 1986 (a local coordination office opened in 2005). Asmae is currently working in partnership with local organizations in the fields of education, child protection, youth empowerment, and livelihoods. Disability and Gender mainstreaming are also some of Asmae’s priorities during the implementation of the project. These projects are reaching different areas in Lebanon including Beirut, North, South, and Bekaa.
Background of the Project under which the Project Officer will operate
SPECIAL is a program that aims to improve access to inclusive, quality early childhood services for girls and boys aged 0-6 years in order to improve their overall development, in South Lebanon (Tyr region). The idea is to enable children to reach their full developmental potential, which in the long term will have many impacts at the individual and collective levels, particularly in terms of social cohesion.
The project is also part of a continuum between the different educational levels – early childhood development and education (nursery and pre-primary school) to primary school entry (acquisition of prerequisite skills, support for children and parents for the enrolment in primary school). Furthermore, this project proposes a holistic collaborative approach, involving public and private service providers, relevant ministries, civil society, and communities.
This project is based on a strong partnership with the partner CSO, Imam Sadr Foundation, which, with the support of Asmae, will be responsible for the direct implementation of capacity-building activities in 10 early childhood centers (nurseries and pre-primary schools) in the Tyre region, as well as parent support and community mobilization. In a child rights-based approach, another key component will be to foster inclusive services, at the level of nurseries and pre-primary schools: through the review of educational programs, through the training of the staff of the supported centers as well as through the provision of specialized support to children identified with special needs (related to disability, protection risks, gender discrimination, origin for refugees, etc).
In addition, the project will promote sustainability by institutionalizing a network of actors (directly involved in the project as well as other local and national actors) in order to promote quality inclusive initiatives in the long term. Finally, Asmae will strengthen the organizational capacity of the Imam Sadr Foundation.
SPECIAL focuses on three specific objectives: 1/ To promote the overall development of 1200 girls and boys (0-6 years) through quality early childhood services and improved parenting skills, 2/Promote inclusive early childhood development and education services, including support for most-at-risk children, 3/ Strengthen multi-stakeholder collaboration and Imam Sadr Foundation's organizational capacity for greater sustainability.
According to Asmae’s strategy and under the direct supervision of the Projects Coordinator, the Project Officer will be in charge of the implementation of the SPECIAL project with ISF in the Tyr region. As such, s/he will be responsible for the overall coordination, monitoring, and reporting of the project, and be the project’s main focal point for partners.
In line with Asmae’s values and response mode, the project officer will be in charge of:
Operational Project Management:
- Ensure the smooth planning and organization of activities with the partners within the timeframe and in accordance with contractual commitments;
- Organize project preparation workshop(s) and project events in close cooperation with the partners;
- Daily detailed follow-up with partners
- Support partners in the implementation of activities and strengthen their management-monitoring-evaluation-reporting capacities;
- Organize and/or facilitate regular meetings with the partners (networking, steering committees, etc.);
- Ensure Asmae’s operational tools are used (partner evaluation form, partnership agreement, action plan, monitoring and evaluation dashboard, etc.);
- Establish a close collaboration with the Technical Advisors to follow-up the activities implemented during the project
- Work Closely with the MEL Officer, lead on data collection tools and gather and centralize information on project activities; to update regularly the M&E tools
- Prepare narrative progress and reports in line with the format and time schedule indicated by the donor(s);
- Contribute to the project's evaluations internally and externally.
- Perform regular field visits to the partners’ locations and implementation sites (2-3 times a week)
- Support the projects coordinator and Head of Programs where needed
- Ensure compliance with the procedures and budgetary framework of the projects;
- Ensure adherence to the administrative time schedule of financing agreements (transfer of Asmae funds, transfer of partner funds, deadlines for reports, deadlines for the performance of financial audits, etc.);
- Carry out financial and administrative monitoring of partners, together with the Senior Administration & Finance Officer;
- Contribute to monthly budget monitoring in accordance with the validation procedure (budget-line spending, flexibility between items, expenditure projections to the end of the project);
- Contribute to budgeting for amendments;
- Contribute to financial reports intended for the donor(s);
- Ensures that records are kept in accordance with the established procedures
- Contribute to preparations for, and support the Administration & Finance Officer in financial audits.
- Participate and actively contribute in team meetings and seminars organized by Asmae;
- Participate in meeting with the donor(s) if requested;
- Support monitoring missions undertaken by headquarters;
- Represent the organization at meetings and in other activities;
- Contribute to the development of communication tools;
- Follow the local security and safety rules and procedures and participate in the security context analysis.
- Organize the regular steering committee meeting.
- Represent Asmae in external meetings and working groups if asked by the line management and after receiving the Country Representative’s approval
- Any administrative or other tasks entrusted by the Project & Partnership Manager and/or the Country Representative (i.e.: organization of meetings or workshops).
- Participate and actively contribute in team meetings and seminars organized by Asmae;
- Participate in institutional representation meetings and activities;
- Follow the local security and safety rules and procedures and participate to the security context analysis;
- Any administrative or other tasks entrusted by the Country Representative (i.e.: organization of meetings or workshops).
- BA/S or equivalent in social science, management, international development, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working with NGOs.
- Strong knowledge in Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Experience working in protection, education and early childhood development is critical.
- Experience in crosscutting activities, including gender and inclusion is a plus.
- Knowledge in the Tyr regions and areas is an added value
- Significant knowledge and understanding of the current political, economic, cultural, and historical context of the Beqaa, south, and North in addition to the Palestinian and Syrian camps including prior experience is an asset.
- Strong communication skills, with a good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Good reporting skills (Donor reporting experience is a plus).
- Positive, respectful attitude and collaborative approach to problem-solving.
- Demonstrated attention to detail; ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently as well as cooperatively with team members.
- Proficiency in English (writing and oral) and Arabic is essential. French is a plus.
- Autonomy and exactitude
- Patience, diplomacy, and a sense of listening
- Ability to build confidence with various stakeholders
- Dynamism and initiative
- Ability to work with a team
- Ability to work under pressure