Project Officer for SharaKa for inclusive Climate Action
Please apply by October 8, 2023. Both a letter of motivation and resume/CV in PDF format need to be submitted in English.
Candidates are highly encouraged to provide a clear track record in their CV and description in cover letter that matches the requirements of the position elaborated above
Region: Middle East & North Africa
Office: Lebanon or Tunisia
Hours: 20 hours per week
The MENA region, which continues to suffer from political and economic unrest, is one of the most vulnerable regions negatively impacted by climate change. However, the MENA region receives the lowest share of international climate finance. Limited funds are also unjustly distributed and do not respond to local needs, emphasizing the lack of inclusive governance and unified efforts to respond to the climate crisis in the region.
To tackle this issue, the SharaKa for inclusive Climate Action Project aims to work with civil society and media in Jordan, Lebanon and Tunisia to influence and co-create just, inclusive and rights-based climate actions. Hivos, in partnership with Internews, Arab Reform Initiative and ARIJ (Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism), intends to enhance cooperation between civil society organizations in the MENA region working on climate justice. The aim is to increase the capacities and resources of media actors to enable them to provide meaningful, fact-based information on the climate crisis to the wider public, thereby increasing citizens’ resilience to climate change and influencing more inclusive climate mitigation measures.
The objectives of the project implemented in Lebanon, Tunisia and Jordan are:
- Diverse CSOs and media collaborate to influence, co-create and contribute to inclusive climate policies and reforms at national, regional and global levels
- Citizens are well-informed and have access to transparent and credible information on climate issues and actions
- CSOs and media outlets are protected by safety and security mechanisms, networks and coordinated alliances.
Main goal of the position
The Project Officer is responsible for supporting the Project Manager (PM) in the coordination and implementation of activities in the three focus countries
- Ensures partners deliver on time according to signed agreements, approved budget and project plan, and monitoring overall compliance.
- Collates information for drafting of internal and donor reports from staff and partners.
- Participates in the selection of the members of the Climate CSO platform.
- Participates in the project steering committee.
- Supports PM in the planning for and logistics of in-country dialogue sessions and roundtable discussions.
- Supports PM in the planning for and logistics of online activities and meetings.
- Coordinates with key internal and external stakeholders to deliver digital safety and security trainings to partners and project participants.
- Supports local organizations in Lebanon, Tunisia and Jordan in grant management and implementation.
- Works closely with key Hivos and partner staff to gather valuable data, making sure that the KPI targets are achieved & for linking and learning purposes.
- Conducts regular in-person and online meetings with partners and other stakeholders in support of monitoring project progress and resolving challenges which may arise.
- Identifies and develops synergies with other Hivos projects in the MENA region and globally.
- Undertakes project communications, visibility and advocacy tasks in support of project.
- Supports PM in ensuring that all relationships with partners are in keeping with Hivos core values, policies and procedures.
- Other tasks as requested by the line manager and Regional Director as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g.: Development, International Relations, Political Sciences, Public Administration…). A Master’s Degree is a plus.
- At least 4 years of experience in project coordination in Tunisia or Lebanon, preferably in the field of Climate or Media, and preferably at a regional level.
- Experience working with sub-grantees (contracted partners), suppliers & service providers.
- Experience logistically organizing events, meetings, etc and conducting procurement.
- Work experience with an NGO (prior experience with an international non-governmental organization is a strong advantage).
- Good verbal, writing and communication skills in English and Arabic, with French as a strong advantage.
- Willingness and able to travel to focus countries as required.
- Job & behavioral skills: strong team player; positive attitude; organized; takes initiative; strong interpersonal & communication skills; can work independently & remotely with teams & partners; able to meet strict deadlines; able to handle competing priorities and heavy workload; trustworthy and reliable; and work requires minimal review.
What we offer
Pending funding of project, we offer a one year commitment in stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. We offer a national contract based on Hivos local labor conditions, with remuneration commensurate with the experience and expertise. Contract renewable depending on performance and funding.
For Tunisia-based applicants specifically:
Until the conclusion of Hivos’ registration as a foreign NGO in Tunisia, this position will be hosted at Al Bawsala, a Tunisian non-profit association. Upon the conclusion of Hivos’ registration in Tunis, Hivos intends to transfer the employee’s contract under Hivos.