To apply, please send an email with subject heading “Lead Researcher” to [email protected] by June 8th, 2023, including:
- Cover letter expressing your interest and how you fit this role
- Previous writing samples (preferably research pieces whether published or not)
- Two references
Any missing elements from the above three requirements renders an application incomplete and wont be considered.
Unless the job call is re-issued, shortlisted candidates will be contacted before the third week of June.
Do you want to join our team?
We are looking for a full time Lead Researcher to join our team at The A Project. The A Project, a non-profit non-governmental organization based in Lebanon, works on sexuality, gender justice, and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and we envision a society where women and gender non-conforming people’s sexuality and mental health are reclaimed, cared for, respected, recognized in their diversities, and not weaponized against us. We are looking for a Lead Researcher who shares our vision and passion for social justice and who will bring their experience and knowledge to help us produce knowledge on the state of sexual rights and reproductive justice in Lebanon.
The role includes managing multiple databases, writing annual sexuality hotline research report, developing curricula for reading retreats, conducting literature reviews, finding relevant and politically compatible publishing avenues/ call for papers, and writing papers on sexual and reproductive health and rights within feminist research methodologies. The Lead research will work closely with and report to the Deputy Director.
The A Project is small team with a big membership base. Similarly to the breakdown of our group, we particularly encourage cis and trans women, trans men, and gender non-conforming people to apply.
Tasks of Lead Researcher include the following:
- Maintain, clean, and back up the referral databases, the sexuality hotline database, reproductive health counseling database, and the hotline callers’ evaluations database;
- Set and conduct internal meetings to brainstorm, analyze the data, and give regular updates on upcoming sexuality hotline reports;
- Produce the sexuality hotline research report of quantitative and qualitative analysis starting from data cleaning to final drafting;
- Liaise with graphic designer and translators to finalize the report for publishing;
- Develop sexuality hotline report dissemination plan along with Digital Communications Officer and Sexuality Hotline Coordinator;
- Find relevant and politically aligned avenues for publishing;
- Assist and lead in research papers; this includes conducting literature reviews, assisting in developing research tools, conducting interviews and focus group discussions, transcription, and analysis of data;
- Identify and develop possible areas of research partnerships with other feminist NGOs and groups in Lebanon and SWANA region;
- Analyze and draft all trainings’ pre/post-tests as well as post-retreat evaluations’ results;
- Strategize and implement new methods of expanding the referral system through its surveys;
- Contribute literature content for the reading retreats;
- Support Deputy and Executive Directors in curricula development for reading retreats and mini retreats;
- Plan and implemenet trainings to Sexuality Hotline Counselors on feminist research methods and hotline documentation;
- An interest in social justice and sexual and reproductive health and rights (required).
- A master’s degree in public health or a social science discipline OR a bachelor’s degree with sufficient work experience (required).
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and qualitative research skills (required).
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience (required).
- Previous work, internship, or volunteer experience on issues related to sexual reproductive health and rights and/ or gender justice (highly desirable).
- Excellent command of English and Arabic (spoken and read) (required).
- Excellent writing skills in at least English or Arabic (required).
- Strong planning, follow-up, time management, and organizational skills (required).
- Motivation and ability to work independently, efficiently, and take initiative (required).
- Experience using quantitative or qualitative data analysis programs (required).
- Understanding of social and political realities in Lebanon (required) and in the region at large (desirable).