Desk Analyst Internship
Applicants must send their CV and a writing Sample, before December15,2023 to [email protected] with Desk Analyst Internship in the subject line
The writing sample should be a 2 pager where applicants can choose any Human rights topic and link it to the Lebanese context.
only emails that includes a CV and writing sample will be reviewed .
Background of the Desk
ALEF – act for human rights is a Lebanese non-profit, non-partisan human rights watchdog organization that works on documenting, and promoting human rights violations and values in Lebanon. ALEF seeks to strengthen the respect and fulfillment of human rights as a cornerstone of social, economic, and political development. By embracing a comprehensive approach to monitor, defend, and educate on human rights, ALEF aims to complement and gear all efforts towards the achievement of an influential human rights constituency, and the realization of a durable peace.
The Human Rights Violations Monitoring Unit (HRVMU) is a unit under ALEF’s Monitoring and Advocacy Program. Through the HRVMU, ALEF contributes to building the individual and collective capacity of civil society organizations in Lebanon, to monitor human rights violations, and to hold stakeholders accountable for their obligations under international human rights law. The unit provides a preliminary analysis by shedding light on Lebanon’s progress and regression in the most pressing human rights issues. The HRVMU uses reports, studies, and other publications on various human rights-related issues to analyze where Lebanon stands currently on human rights issues. ALEF’s expertise in international human rights law, international humanitarian law, as well as national and regional legal mechanisms contributes to the monitoring and documentation process, which in turn feeds into ALEF’s evidence-based lobbying and advocacy efforts. The HRVMU has been successful in publishing a series of annual reports, studies, and publications. These reflect the current human rights situation in Lebanon and recommend actions to be taken by key stakeholders in order to improve respect for human rights.
Scope of Work
The Desk Analyst will be responsible for the following:
- Analysis and Research
- Keep up with news and updates, especially developments on human rights violations and progresses (reports, publications, legal updates, meetings, etc.).
- Monitor violations and progresses related to human rights violations and progresses.
- Assist in conducting context analyses and risks assessments for the Desk and identify potential mitigation measures.
- Assisting in drafting and producing reports, briefs, and concept notes.
- Assist in ad-hoc research outputs related to human rights violations and progresses.
- Brief the Desk Manager on context updates in the lead-up to preparations for high-level meetings.
- Degree in International Affairs, Political Science, Public Relations, Human Rights, Human Development, or any related field.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
- Good knowledge of human rights, mechanisms, platforms, and dynamics.
- Good knowledge of local laws and regulations.
- Excellent research, analysis, writing, and editing skills.
- Key attention to detail and precision.
- Awareness of the current political context in Lebanon
- Capacity to work independently, lead on tasks, and suggest solutions.
- Able to work fast and deliver under pressure in a volatile context.
- جبل لبنان
- Hazmiyeh (Baabda)