Child Marriage Model of Action for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region
Drawing New Ways on Empowering Girls and Adolescents and Reducing Child Marriage in the MENA Region
Terre des hommes Lausanne launches a “Child Marriage Model of Action for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region”.
Child marriage continues to be a critical global phenomenon affecting an estimated number of 12 million girls annually, with one in five girls in the world married before the age of 18. The world is home to 650 million child brides, including currently married girls and women who were first married during their childhood, of whom 40 million children brides are located in the MENA region (including currently married girls and women who were first married during their childhood); only an estimated 700,000 cases are reported annually. Child marriage in the MENA region has been greatly exacerbated by conflict and displacement over the past decade, with COVID-19 placing a further strain on resources.
Specialized and consistent programming on Child Marriage in the MENA region is more needed than ever, applying proven models that allow achieving positive results for adolescent girls and young women.
The Child Marriage Model of Action (MoA) is a regional model to guide Terre des hommes (Tdh)’s and its partners’ operations in the design, implementation, and monitoring of interventions addressing child marriage.
The MoA is intended to provide technical direction to teams in how to prevent and respond to child marriage, as well as promote the protection, empowerment, and resilience of adolescent girls and young women, while working on masculine roles & identities. It provides a regional Theory of Change and an Intervention Matrix to orient and harmonize child marriage interventions’ impact in the MENA region
The Tdh Child Marriage MENA MoA aims to contribute to the following objectives:
- Strengthening the comprehensiveness, effectiveness, & quality of interventions to address child marriage in the region
- Increasing dedicated interventions to address child marriage in the region, while facilitating parallel mainstreaming of child marriage considerations across Tdh specialized programmes
- Ensuring child marriage is prioritized by operations in the region within strategies, resourcing, & programming
- Leveraging a strong partnership approach in the region on child marriage for a holistic, wide-reaching, resource-effective, & sustainable response
- Supporting regional measurement of broader effects of child marriage interventions, as well as learning across countries in the region
- Increasing visibility & resource mobilisation in order to better leverage targeted child marriage interventions in the region
Download your Electronic Version:
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organization for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for vulnerable children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 35 countries, Tdh works with its teams and/or local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which significantly improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection, and emergency relief. This engagement is financed with the support of private individuals and institutions, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
To know more about Tdh in MENA, kindly visit:
Tdh Website: www.tdh.ch
Tdh in Mena Instagram: tdh_in_mena
Terre des hommes in Lebanon / Facebook Page: Terre des hommes in Lebanon
Terre des hommes in Jordan and Palestine / Facebook Page: Terre des hommes in Jordan and Palestine
Terre des hommes in Egypt / Facebook Page: Terre des hommes - Egypt