National Programme Officer
- Applications must be submitted in English and include the following documents:
- A motivation letter which explains your motivation and how you meet the selection criteria
- An updated CV with your photo and at least 3 professional references with their full contacts (name, organization/company, position, telephone number, email address)
- A copy of your passport and/or ID
- Supporting documents (degrees, certificates, etc.)
- Please submit your application to [email protected] writing as subject of the e-mail the following: NPOJA - “Family Name” “First name”
- Deadline for application submission: 08 November 2020 (applications received after this deadline will not be considered).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an assessment.
The Embassy of Switzerland in Lebanon is currently looking to recruit a National Programme Officer to support its Human Security programme for Syria and advise the Embassy on political aspects relating to Syria. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Human Security advisor for Syria and the Swiss ambassador and will be based within the Embassy of Switzerland in Beirut with regular trips to Syria.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Manage and implement the Human Security Programme for Syria under the domains of the Swiss regional cooperation strategy, namely Conflict Prevention and Peace Promotion and Protection and Migration, and the FDFA’s Human Security Division's objectives for Syria.
- Ensure strategic coherence and relevance of the programme including by monitoring of developments in thematic areas, which are relevant, and by pro-actively proposing entry points for enhanced engagement.
- Ensure the full project cycle management in all operational, financial and administrative aspects, from planning, to monitoring (including by field visits) and evaluation, including negotiating and revising project proposals and budgets, drafting credit proposals, controlling reports, preparing and carrying out reviews, evaluations, programme specific reporting etc.
- Representation: represent the Embassy of Switzerland in national or international meetings and platforms in the thematic area of human security upon instruction.
- External networking: develop and maintain a network with national representatives, national and international, and multilateral partners, relevant experts, decision-makers and other involved stakeholders.
- Internal networking: ensure collaboration and coordination with all engaged internal actors at the Human Security Division in Bern, and the Embassy of Switzerland in Lebanon, and with Swiss representations in the region working on Syrian affairs, including participation in relevant meetings.
- Organizational: plan, organize and coordinate delegations, events and meetings that are thematically closely linked to the Human Security Programme.
- Analytical and Editorial: contribute to the preparation of policy and strategy positions, speaking notes, programmatic documentation and context analysis. Manage programme-related and project-specific reporting and communication (e.g. factsheets).
- Media monitoring: Monitor the Syrian context including media and social media coverage in the defined thematic fields of responsibility and channel the information internally..
- Security Management Team: take part in monthly meetings of the SMT, provide Syria-related context analysis when needed in relation to safety and security, support in ad-hoc tasks in an emergency situation as per the Crisis Plan.
Competencies and selection criteria:
- Excellent knowledge of the political landscape, conflict dynamics and socio-economic situation in Syria.
- Familiar with Swiss Foreign Policy or Swiss Engagement in the region.
- Existing network including governmental actors, NGOs, cooperation agencies, and international institutions.
- Sound experience in and knowledge of project cycle management; knowledge and experience in Conflict-Sensitive Programme Management approaches and concepts like 'Do No Harm' is an asset.
- Arabic as mother tongue; fluent in English, written and spoken. Knowledge of French or German would be an additional asset.
- Motivation and initiative, flexibility, resistance to stress, strong team work and networking skills as well as integrity are other essential requirements.
- High degree of managerial, administrative and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse, conceptualize and monitor programs.
- Targeted and results-oriented.
- Readiness to travel to Syria on a regular basis.
Education and experience:
- Master’s degree, preferably in Political Science, Social Science, Law or related subjects.
- At least 5 years of working experience in international cooperation at project / programme or executive level.