Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager
Interested candidates, please apply through the following link:
Summary of Position
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager will lead the M&E and Learning department and carry out all the strategic and functional responsibilities of design, monitoring, evaluation and learning. S/he is responsible to design a comprehensive M&E and learning system and oversee the successful implementation of M&E across the program. S/he will develop and coordinate the monitoring systems, design and conduct research, coordinate baseline studies and evaluations, contribute to program development, and design and develop appropriate M&E systems, strategy and plans, indicators and tools.
S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Country Director and in close coordination with the Program Director, Regional Program Associate, Team Leaders, Project and Program Managers. S/he will directly supervise the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinators and Officers based in the field offices. S/he will also supervise the work of Third-Party Monitoring agencies that may be hired for remotely managed projects. The position will be based in Beirut and will require frequent travel to the field. The MEAL Manager will develop working relationships with the Institutional Learning Team (ILT) of Search. Notably, by collaborating with the ILT Regional Coordinator.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Develop an integrated monitoring strategy and framework to formulate a clear and operational mechanism for monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop logical/results frameworks and monitoring plans and tools for all Search programs/projects;
- Develop a clear data management system for tracking and verifying programmatic performance (quality assurance), particularly against the targets and achievement on outputs and outcomes levels;
- Support the development of a knowledge management system in coordination with Search global Institutional Learning Team
- In close collaboration with project teams, advice on the development of a context-relevant feedback and accountability mechanism that can be used across the country portfolio;
- Lead design process and oversee baseline surveys, listenership surveys, mini surveys, thematic/occasional research and other programmatic assessments;
- Support M&E Coordinators and staff in the field offices and project teams implementing Search M&E standards around project planning meetings, baseline studies, data collection tools, monitoring missions and evaluations;
- Establish appropriate data collection methodologies and strategies to evaluate peacebuilding;
- Enable program teams to utilize evaluation findings and communicate results effectively;
- Lead on Search partners’ capacity assessments and strengthen M&E capacities within Search staff and partners;
- Support the review donor reports and new proposals to ensure that learning is reflected and that reports are written in a results-based manner;
- For consortium- based projects, work closely with the partners in developing monitoring plans and their implementation;
- Perform as a focal person for coordinating, managing, ensuring quality control of external research, conflict scans, baselines and evaluations, in full cooperation with project teams;
- Develop context-relevant resources on peacebuilding monitoring, evaluation, and capturing impact;
- Encourage and set up team reflection practices around research and evaluations results;
- Working with the Media and Communications team, contribute to content gathering and development of newsletters, learning booklets, and other communications products;
- Active engagement in cross-regional and cross-organizational learning efforts initiated by the ILT Team, which include piloting guidance and tools, and sharing of lessons learned;
- Support M&E onboarding processes within the Lebanon team, notably by ensuring access to user-friendly tools and guidance shared via the Institutional Learning Team Intranet website;
- Conduct internal evaluations, leading on planning and implementation of all listenership surveys, based on Search Evaluation Guidelines and Policies;
- Supporting recruitment and management of external consultants, and data collection teams for specific projects; and
- Contribute to establish linkages and networking with other Peacebuilding organizations to share M&E learning and good practices.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in research methodologies, international development, social science, economics, or related field is desired.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in design, monitoring and evaluation methodologies, field monitoring, evaluation design, empirical and statistical analysis, information management systems and/or information management design is required;
- A minimum of two -year experience in the peacebuilding M&E is required;
- Proven experience of using qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis tools;
- Proven understanding and experience in conflict analysis methodologies and approaches;
- Knowledge of participatory methods, mixed methods, outcome mapping and/or impact evaluation techniques; and
- Experience of developing accountability and feedback mechanisms.
- Collaborative working style that enables coaching and training in M&E principles and best-practices;
- Experience in developing learning documents;
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate evaluations, including experience developing evaluation terms of reference and recruiting and managing consultants;
- Extensive knowledge and application of proposal design principles;
- Knowledge of data software such as STATA, SPSS;
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Good facilitation skills;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.