POLICY COORDINATOR (INT7439)
Interested candidates should submit their applications via the following link: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/policy-coordinator-int7439/13813/descr...
Applications sent by emails will not be considered
Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
The function of the Policy, Advocacy and Communications (PAC) team is to support and promote our program portfolio and advocacy objectives in Iraq.
Working closely with our local and national partners as well as the global Oxfam confederation, the PAC team works with colleagues across 8 offices in Iraq to develop advocacy, comms and policy initiatives that support the core areas of our work.
To develop and promote policy and research for Oxfam in Iraq and its national NGO partners, to support advocacy, fundraising and programs. Adapt and develop policy positions to support advocacy and influence a wide range of audiences, local, national and international.
Location: Based in Erbil with frequent travel (as much as 50%) to other programme offices (Baghdad, Ramadi, Tikrit, Kalar, Khanaqin, Kirkuk and Mosul)
Internal Grade: C2
This role reports to: Policy, Advocacy, and Communications Manager
Staff reporting to this post: None
Annual budget for the post: N/A
Key relationships/interactions: Policy, Advocacy, and Communications team in Oxfam, thematic programme leads, DCD Programmes, Head of Programme, national NGO partners, policy staff in other INGOs, research institutions, Oxfam Rights in Crisis network
DBS checks (for roles based in the UK): N/A
- To produce or commission and manage high quality policy and research content to support Oxfam advocacy, fundraising and programmes.
- Work closely with local, regional and international colleagues in the Oxfam Confederation to develop and influence policy dialogue around priority issues.
- Develop regular policy/position papers of relevance to Oxfam work in Iraq for a range of audiences.
- Provide regular analysis of Government of Iraq and Kurdistan Regional Government policies, regulations, and legislation as it relates to Oxfam influencing and programmatic priorities.
- Work with Oxfam’s national NGO partners to support their own policy development, or to involve them in the development of Oxfam policy papers.
- Support development of content for communications and media.
- Identify opportunities to promote Oxfam policy, research and comms content to relevant stakeholders – local, national and international. For example, policy makers, parliamentarians, think tanks, media, and other influencers both in Iraq and globally.
- Support the development of policy work that connects with Oxfam’s regional and global priorities, in line with Oxfam’s Global Strategic Framework and other strategies.
- Attend and represent Oxfam at relevant policy (and other) forums, and directly to relevant stakeholders in coordination with the department Manager and Country Director.
- Build relationships with policy and communications colleagues in other organizations (eg. NGOs, UN agencies, civil society, donors) to coordinate and collaborate on initiatives.
- Ensure representation of Oxfam’s programmes, activities and research within the Oxfam Confederation.
- Proactively identify relevant policy positions/ issues that Oxfam should lead/support.
- Promote and live Oxfam values within your work, the team, and the Oxfam country office
- Lead on policy and research development for the Oxfam country programme.
- Work with the PAC Manager and Oxfam Country Director to identify policy areas to prioritise in Oxfam advocacy and programmes.
- Provide policy input into programme proposals to ensure that they are in line with Oxfam positions, priorities and values.
- Ensure streamlining of Oxfam policy positions across all programs in Iraq and share with the wider confederation. This will involve developing an adapting complex policy and development content for different target audiences.
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Skills, Experience And Knowledge
- Significant and relevant experience of developing and producing policy-oriented content.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Arabic.
- Strong writing and research skills, preferably with a history of writing policy, communications and research materials and the ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines.
- Management of significant processes and relationships, particularly with colleagues in field offices and other teams, as well as external contacts and representation in external forums.
- The ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences.
- Sound political judgement on issues of extreme sensitivity. Make decisions and solve problems on complex issues, requiring creative thinking to find best solutions and drawing on information from a variety of sources to inform decision making.
- Excellent teamwork skills and has experience working closely with programme teams, technical experts, partners and management to provide sound policy inputs/guidance.
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in complex global networks of multi-national, multi-cultural teams and to develop good working relationships.
- Ability to model Oxfam's values (empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness) with staff, partners, allies and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Iraqi socio-political context
- Previous policy and research experience
- Previous humanitarian or development experience
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work
- Willingness to support Iraqi and Kurdish organisations in the development of policy and research work
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences
Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here.