Human Rights Program Manager
Interested Candidates should submit their applications via the following link:https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/human-rights--program-manager---nation...
Applications submitted via email will not be considered
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
Oxfam in Lebanon is increasingly working at local, national and international levels to “ensure that women and men are protected and empowered to enjoy their basic rights and access services enabling them to live in dignity within a more equitable society.” To achieve this vision, Oxfam in Lebanon implements activities under three main programmatic pillars, which are the Human Rights and Economic Justice pillar, the Humanitarian Pillar, and the Beirut Response Pillar (in response to the Beirut blast of August 4th, 2020).
The Human Rights Program aims to empower marginalised women and men, particularly youth, to exercise their basic rights to influence decision-making in support of more accountable, effective governance, particularly in relation to respect for basic rights, access to services, resource management and distribution, and gender equity.
The Human Rights Program Manager will lead Oxfam’s human rights team. S/he will have oversight over projects that promote the human rights of marginalized and vulnerable communities, support their ability to demand their rights and effectively engage in decision-making, development and accountability processes, their access to services (e.g. sexual and reproductive services, mental health services), while supporting civil society organisations and their allies to self-organize around the priorities of marginalized people. The Human Rights Program Manager will also work tightly with the Beirut Response pillar, in promoting the recovery of individuals and communities that were affected by the Beirut blast, and support them in holding duty bearers accountable.
The Human Rights Program Manager will lead and is accountable for all the programmatic, management and partnership aspects of Oxfam’s human rights interventions nationally, and will work tightly with the Beirut Response pillar, in promoting the recovery of individuals and communities that were affected by the Beirut blast. As a key role within the Oxfam Lebanon Country programme, the position will be based in Beirut, with regular travel to programme sites in Lebanon. He/she will oversee effective management and relationships with relevant external stakeholders, oversee program teams that are implementing human rights interventions, by overseeing management of the project cycle, including financial monitoring, monitoring and evaluation, leading in preparing and developing high quality concept notes and proposals, reviewing progress and donor reports, and enhancing learning and representation. In addition, the Human Rights Program Manager will also support in identifying scaling up opportunities and new project ideas in line with human rights needs on the ground, and in consultation with program teams.
Internal Grade: C2
Job Family: Programme
This role reports to: Human Rights and Economic Justice Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: 4 direct reports (2 Project Managers and two Senior Project Officers)
Annual budget for the post: 2.5 to 4 million USD
Human Rights and Economic Justice Coordinator, Economic Justice Program Manager, SEE Change Coordinator, Beirut Response Coordinator, Beirut Response Projects Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator, Gender Advisor, Funding Coordinator, Grants Manager, Policy Lead, Research and Policy Advisor, Deputy Country Director for Programmes.
All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
- Directly line-manage 2 Project Managers and two Senior Project Officers, while ensuring implementation of Oxfam’s performance management policies and procedures;
- Support the implementation of human rights activities, and the activities of the Beirut Response, including ensuring coherence, standardized approaches, and programme quality, and quality reporting to donors, across the human rights programme as a whole, and advise on human rights elements in other programmes;
- Exercise budgetary oversight over all human rights projects in their portfolio;
- In collaboration with the Human Rights and Economic Justice Coordinator, and the Economic Justice Program Manager, the two Project Managers and the two Senior Project Officers, support the integration of programmes and policy to ensure that programmes are working towards achieving same aims, and leveraging impact in line with Oxfam’s Country Strategy for Lebanon;
- Support team and partner risk analysis related to programme activities before implementation and provide strategic steer on amending activities and approaches where necessary;
- Support human rights programme teams and partners in developing and applying appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) tools in relation to Oxfam’s human rights work in Lebanon;
- Lead on the development and implementation of evaluations, learning events and specific programme-related research activities;
- Work with the pillar lead and the Gender Advisor in ensuring all efforts are made by human rights programme staff and partners in mainstreaming gender throughout Oxfam Lebanon’s work;
- Support the pillar lead in the identification of capacity building needs and opportunities for Oxfam staff and local partner organisations; support the development and implementation of capacity-building plans and design and deliver trainings as appropriate;
- With support from the communications team, advance the visibility of Oxfam’s human rights activities in Lebanon
Programme Design and Strategy
- Support the development of a comprehensive human rights strategy for Oxfam in Lebanon, which includes elements of participatory governance, and social accountability, social justice issues, youth empowerment, working with coalitions of human rights defenders and civil society organizations, engaging with local and national authorities and power holders. This includes defining the strategy, designing approaches, identifying key partners and supporting (or leading when relevant) programme teams and partners in developing (funding) proposals and reviewing and revising current projects to meet changing needs and requirements;
- Lead on programme design and proposal development for human rights projects that fall under the Human Rights and Economic Justice pillar of work, and/or support the proposal lead on integrated multisector interventions;
- Provide specialist human rights technical advice and support to the implementation of Oxfam’s interventions and approaches in Lebanon (e.g. rights of power holders, good governance, social justice, civil society space);
- Participate in in-country planning, strategy development and reviews;
- Maintain an up-to-date and comprehensive understanding of human rights issues and issues affecting civil society space in Lebanon, and ensure that programme teams are operating according to emerging evidence on what works, and what does not work, within the Lebanon context;
Representation & Relationship-Building
- Represent Oxfam externally in relevant UN/(I)NGO or government coordination fora; develop alliances with organisations and other relevant stakeholders working on human rights, with a view to enhancing coordination, and adopting complementary approaches including active participation in relevant coordination and planning mechanisms;
- Represent Oxfam internally, in meetings with affiliates, the regional office, and other country programs;
- Attend donor meetings when relevant and organize field visits as required;
- Build a network of partnerships (formal and informal) to engage with on programmes and for policy, advocacy and influencing.
Policy and Influencing
In collaboration with relevant Policy Advisor(s), and in coordination with the Human Rights and Economic Justice Coordinator, Economic Justice Program Manager, and Policy Advisor:
- Support advocacy and campaigning on human rights issues, and advise on relevant research so that influencing and policy work is based on sound programmatic evidence;
- Provide feedback and support on human rights approaches to be strengthened within the Lebanon Country Office Influencing Strategy;
- Be the focal point to liaise with technical staff from other country programs in the region to identify opportunities for collaboration and joint learning;
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women's rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Note to candidates: Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here.
Key Organisational Attributes
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to undertake Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adherence of relevant policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences
Oxfam Leadership Competencies
- Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
- Humility: We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
- Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
- Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
- Self-Awareness: We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
Essential - Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
- 4 to 5 years of experience leading human rights programming, working on e.g. social justice issues, good governance, social accountability, with human rights defenders and civil society organizations, coalitions and alliances, engaging with local and national authorities and power holders to promote the rights and voice of Lebanese and refugee women and men;
- Strong experience in project design, proposal development and concept note development (including budgets) of human rights interventions;
- Sound knowledge of human rights issues and priorities in Lebanon, including an understanding of Lebanon’s social, economic and political context;
- Demonstrated experience in integrating gender and diversity into human rights programming;
- Strong knowledge of civil society space in Lebanon, including experience in engaging with Lebanese civil society and human rights activists in Lebanon;
- Excellent communicator in English and Arabic, with proven ability to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders (local partners, coalitions, activitists, municipalities, etc);
- Master’s degree in relevant area (e.g. human rights, development studies, political science)
- Experience in working with and developing the capacity of staff, partners, activists, youth;
- Proven ability to analyse complex environments at the local and national level, monitor changes and translate into appropriate strategic advice;
- Experience in supporting research, advocacy and influencing efforts on human rights issues in Lebanon;
- Knowledge of and/or experience in economic justice programming.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.