Governance Program Manager
Interested candidates should submit their applications via the following link: https://jobs.oxfam.org.uk/vacancy/governance-program-manager---national-...
Applications submitted via email will not be considered
JOB FAMILY: Programmes
ONE OXFAM GRADE: C ZONE: 2
TEAM: Governance and Economic Justice
HOURS: 40 (FTE)
We believe flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization.
TEAM PURPOSE: Oxfam in Lebanon is increasingly working at local, national and international levels to “ensure that women and men are protected and empowered to enjoy their basic rights and access services enabling them to live in dignity within a more equitable society.” To achieve this vision, Oxfam in Lebanon implements activities under three main programmatic pillars, which are the Governance and Economic Justice pillar, the Humanitarian Pillar, and the Beirut Response Pillar (in response to the Beirut blast of August 4th, 2020).
The Governance Program aims to empower marginalised women and men, particularly youth, to exercise their basic rights to influence decision-making in support of more accountable, effective governance, particularly in relation to respect for basic rights, access to services, resource management and distribution, and gender equity.
The Governance Program Manager will lead Oxfam’s governance
For Oxfam in Lebanon Governance is defined as the set of processes and approaches that are set to ensure accountability, responsiveness, participation, transparency, efficiency, effectiveness, and rule of Law between different systems, structures, groups, or- even- individuals
Governance projects focus on strengthening social accountability, participation, and inclusiveness within and between members of the community, Local Authorities (LA), and national authorities, with no discrimination related to age, gender, nationality, religion, or socio-economic situation. To achieve this objective, diverse projects are implemented with various relevant stakeholders including local community groups, local Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Community Based Organizations (CBOs), Municipalities, Union of Municipalities, local service-provision establishments (e.g. Water Establishments), and representatives of government ministries.
S/he will have oversight over projects that promote the governance of marginalized and vulnerable communities, support their ability to demand their rights and effectively engage in decision-making, development and accountability processes, their access to services (e.g. sexual and reproductive services, mental health services), while supporting civil society organisations and their allies to self-organize around the priorities of marginalized people. The Governance Program Manager will also work tightly with the Beirut Response pillar, in promoting the recovery of individuals and communities that were affected by the Beirut blast, and support them in holding duty bearers accountable.
JOB PURPOSE: The Governance Program Manager will lead and is accountable for all the programmatic, management and partnership aspects of Oxfam’s human rights and governance interventions nationally, and will work tightly with the Beirut Response pillar, in promoting the recovery of individuals and communities that were affected by the Beirut blast. As a key role within the Oxfam Lebanon Country programme, the position will be based in Beirut, with regular travel to programme sites in Lebanon. He/she will oversee effective management and relationships with relevant external stakeholders, oversee program teams that are implementing governance interventions, by overseeing management of the project cycle, including financial monitoring, monitoring and evaluation, leading in preparing and developing high quality concept notes and proposals, reviewing progress and donor reports, and enhancing learning and representation. In addition, the Governance Program Manager will also support in identifying scaling up opportunities and new project ideas in line with governance needs on the ground, and in consultation with program teams
JOB REPORTS TO: Governance and Economic Justice Coordinator
ROLES REPORTING TO THIS JOB: 4 direct reports (2 Project Managers and two Senior Project Officers)
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY : 2.5 to 4 million USD
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE: Lebanon
KEY STAKEHOLDERS :Governance and Economic Justice Coordinator, Economic Justice Program Manager, SEE Change Coordinator, Beirut Response Coordinator, Beirut Response Projects Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator, Gender Advisor, Funding Coordinator, Grants Manager, Policy Lead, Research and Policy Advisor, Deputy Country Director for Programmes.
Key Responsibilities (Technical, Leadership, People And Resource Management)
- Directly line-manage 2 Project Managers and two Senior Project Officers, while ensuring implementation of Oxfam’s performance management policies and procedures;
- Support the implementation of governance activities, and the activities of the Beirut Response, including ensuring coherence, standardized approaches, and programme quality, and quality reporting to donors, across the governance programme as a whole, and advise on governance elements in other programmes;
- Exercise budgetary oversight over all governance projects in their portfolio;
- In collaboration with the Governance and Economic Justice Coordinator, and the Economic Justice Program Manager, the two Project Managers and the two Senior Project Officers, support the integration of programmes and policy to ensure that programmes are working towards achieving same aims, and leveraging impact in line with Oxfam’s Country Strategy for Lebanon;
- Support team and partner risk analysis related to programme activities before implementation and provide strategic steer on amending activities and approaches where necessary;
- Support governance programme teams and partners in developing and applying appropriate monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL) tools in relation to Oxfam’s governance work in Lebanon;
- Lead on the development and implementation of evaluations, learning events and specific programme-related research activities;
- Work with the pillar lead and the Gender Advisor in ensuring all efforts are made by governance programme staff and partners in mainstreaming gender throughout Oxfam Lebanon’s work;
- Support the pillar lead in the identification of capacity building needs and opportunities for Oxfam staff and local partner organisations; support the development and implementation of capacity-building plans and design and deliver trainings as appropriate;
- With support from the communications team, advance the visibility of Oxfam’s governance activities in Lebanon
Programme Design and Strategy
- Support the development of a comprehensive governance strategy for Oxfam in Lebanon, which includes elements of participatory governance, and social accountability, social justice issues, youth empowerment, working with coalitions of governance defenders and civil society organizations, engaging with local and national authorities and power holders. This includes defining the strategy, designing approaches, identifying key partners and supporting (or leading when relevant) programme teams and partners in developing (funding) proposals and reviewing and revising current projects to meet changing needs and requirements;
- Lead on programme design and proposal development for governance projects that fall under the Governance and Economic Justice pillar of work, and/or support the proposal lead on integrated multisector interventions;
- Provide specialist governance technical advice and support to the implementation of Oxfam’s interventions and approaches in Lebanon (e.g. rights of power holders, good governance, social justice, civil society space);
- Participate in in-country planning, strategy development and reviews;
- Maintain an up-to-date and comprehensive understanding of governance issues and issues affecting civil society space in Lebanon, and ensure that programme teams are operating according to emerging evidence on what works, and what does not work, within the Lebanon context;
Representation & Relationship-Building
- Represent Oxfam externally in relevant UN/(I)NGO or government coordination fora; develop alliances with organisations and other relevant stakeholders working on governance, with a view to enhancing coordination, and adopting complementary approaches including active participation in relevant coordination and planning mechanisms;
- Represent Oxfam internally, in meetings with affiliates, the regional office, and other country programs;
- Attend donor meetings when relevant and organize field visits as required;
- Build a network of partnerships (formal and informal) to engage with on programmes and for policy, advocacy and influencing.
Policy and Influencing
In collaboration with relevant Policy Advisor(s), and in coordination with the Governance and Economic Justice Coordinator, Economic Justice Program Manager, and Policy Advisor:
- Support advocacy and campaigning on governance issues, and advise on relevant research so that influencing and policy work is based on sound programmatic evidence;
- Provide feedback and support on governance approaches to be strengthened within the Lebanon Country Office Influencing Strategy;
- Be the focal point to liaise with technical staff from other country programs in the region to identify opportunities for collaboration and joint learning;
- Represents the affiliate in coordination meetings and some external relationships.
- Usually plans and manages the resources of one or more sub-units though, not normally over a broad spectrum of programs or geographies.
- Helps shape local level objectives within in a specific team.
- Provides specialist advice or specific skills to their team or programme unit.
- Management tasks are complex and non-routine within their specialist unit or function.
- Requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide audience.
- Decision-making requires significant levels of judgement based on technical and management experience, generally actively supported by line management or the programme team.
- Responsible for all stages of design and implementation of a designated programme or of policy development, campaign etc e.g. concept design, proposal writing, implementation, monitoring, evaluation.
Most importantly, every individual in Oxfam needs to be able to:
- Live our values of INCLUSION, ACCOUNTABILITY, EMPOWERMENT, COURAGE, SOLIDARITY and EQUALITY (read more about these here)
- Ensure you commit to our ORGANIZATIONAL ATTRIBUTES (including adhering to the Code of Conduct):
1. Be committed to our feminist principles, and to applying them in your day-to-day behaviour and your work. Be ready to keep learning, with accountability to those who experience oppression as a result of their identities, such as their gender, race/ethnicity, disability, class, or LGBTQIA identity."
2. Be committed to undertaking Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adhering to relevant policies, to ensure all people who come into Oxfam are as safe as possible.
Experience, Knowledge & Competencies
- 4 to 5 years of experience leading human rights and governance programming, working on e.g. social justice issues, good governance, social accountability, with governance defenders and civil society organizations, coalitions and alliances, engaging with local and national authorities and power holders to promote the rights and voice of Lebanese and refugee women and men;
- Strong experience in project design, proposal development and concept note development (including budgets) of governance interventions;
- Sound knowledge of governance issues and priorities in Lebanon, including an understanding of Lebanon’s social, economic and political context;
- Demonstrated experience in integrating gender and diversity into governance programming;
- Strong knowledge of civil society space in Lebanon, including experience in engaging with Lebanese civil society and governance activists in Lebanon;
- Excellent communicator in English and Arabic, with proven ability to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders (local partners, coalitions, activists, municipalities, etc);
- Master’s degree in relevant area (e.g. governance, development studies, political science)
- Experience in working with and developing the capacity of staff, partners, activists, youth;
- Proven ability to analyse complex environments at the local and national level, monitor changes and translate into appropriate strategic advice;
- Experience in supporting research, advocacy and influencing efforts on governance issues in Lebanon;
- Knowledge of and/or experience in economic justice programming.
SAFER RECRUITMENT: Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. Offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.