I- BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES
The Government of Lebanon (GoL) has received financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Lebanon Health Resilience Project (LHRP) and Strengthening Lebanon’s Covid-19 Response Project (SLCRP).
The LHRP is a seven-year project that aims to increase access to quality healthcare services to poor Lebanese and displaced Syrians in Lebanon and to strengthen the Government’s capacity to respond to COVID-19. This project will: (i) provide subsidized packages of essential healthcare services to 210,000 vulnerable Lebanese living under poverty line identified by the Emergency Social Safety Net (ESSN) Project; (ii) strengthen the technical and organizational capacities of the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), Primary Health Care Centers (PHCCs), and public hospitals; (iii) cover the hospitalization bills for COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 claims at private and public hospitals for uninsured Lebanese; and (iv) strengthen the Government of Lebanon’s capacity to respond to COVID-19 pandemic.
The SLCRP is a 1.9-year project financed by the World Bank. The project will finance payment of hospitalization bills for COVID-19 and related health conditions to public hospitals and eligible private hospitals, using provider payment methods as agreed with the World Bank. The project will also finance the procurement and the deployment of COVID-19 vaccines and the operations that support the vaccination rollout, goods needed for the prevention, detection and case management of COVID-19 and related health conditions for public hospitals. The project will support the procurement of new medical equipment or the maintenance of old equipment in public hospitals providing COVID19 and related health conditions medical services.
The MoPHis seeking to recruit a Project Manager to manage day-to-day projects implementation and overall coordination of projects’ activities. The Project Manager will work closely with all stakeholders to ensure effective and efficient management of the projects. The tasks of the Project Manager will include:
- Managing the overall implementation of the project as per the Loan Agreement with the World Bank;
- Identifying Project Management Unit (PMU) staff, leading the PMU, and overseeing the day-to-day activities of the PMU related to the management and implementation of the Project, including procurement, project monitoring and evaluation, financial management, progress and financial reporting;
- Preparing, or as appropriate supervising the draft of, Terms of References and management of local and foreign consultants, monitoring progress on deliverables under those contracts, and coordination of the work of the consultants consistent with the overall project implementation plan;
- Co-signing payments and transfers made of the designated account, reviewing quarterly financial reports and yearly financial statement, reviewing the budget and disbursement plan, working with the financial officer in preparation for external audits
- Preparing, or as appropriate supervising the preparation of, progress reports, annual reports, project completion report and other reports that may be required;
- Preparing, or as appropriate supervising the preparation of, annual work plans and budgets;
- Supervising PMU staff in the performance of their respective duties and ensuring the efficient functioning of the unit and ensuring that clear working arrangements are established on all management, financial, accounting and procurement matters;
- Identifying implementation arrangements and needed resources to implement the project and ensuring proper management of funds, including accounting, financial control and audit procedures acceptable to the World Bank as well as the procurement of goods, works and services in accordance with World Bank guidelines;
- Coordinating closely with the MoPH and World Bank on project implementation and progress and strategic decisions; and
- Other tasks relevant to the position and approved by MoPH leadership team.
The contract period is for one year, extendable upon satisfactory performance and mutual agreement. The first six (6) months will be considered as probationary period, based on which the consultant’s performance will be evaluated. The contract may be terminated with no remedy if the performance was evaluated as not satisfactory.
IV- REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
The Project Manager will report to the MoPHMinister of Public Health. He/She is expected to work closely with the PMU staff and coordinate with the MoPH head of departments and divisions on related areas.
Education and Experience:
- A Graduate degree in Project Management, Public Health, Medicine, Business Administration, or any related field;
- At least 10 years of experience in project management;
- Demonstrated experience in working with international organizations, governmental agencies and non-government associations;
- Knowledge of the World Bank guidelines and regulations is an asset; and
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven record in leadership positions that require managing large teams and a wide range of service providers;
- Advanced computer skills in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Web applications, and database management;
- Demonstrated interpersonal, problem-solving, and negotiating skills;
- Excellent planning, presentation, writing, and editing skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and under limited supervision;
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English.
Interested Consultants are requested to provide the following information:
- A CV showing relevant similar experience, previous academic and professional achievement.
- A cover letter explaining the consultant’s relevant experience, as well as previous academic and professional achievements.
Must be delivered electronically to the address below not later than 29/9/2023.
The subject of the e-mail should be: “Lebanon Health Resilience Project – Project Manager”.
Ministry of Public Health
Attention: Lebanon Health Resilience Project (LHRP)
Title: Project Management Unit (PMU)
Tel: 961 1 830300 Ext: 274
E-mail: [email protected]
- Mount Lebanon