Interested candidates should send their CV, the details of two people who will serve as professional references, a short self-presentation letter in English language explaining how the candidate’s qualifications and previous experiences are in line with this job description.
Applications must be sent no later than 24-07-2018, to:
Please specify in the reference: “Agricultural Engineer_name_surname”
In this framework, to support the implementation of Project 2 the John Paul II Foundation is recruiting an agricultural Engineer to:
- Support the implementation of technical training to improve farmers and cooperative management skills;
- Provide continuous technical assistance to producers and cooperatives to improve production (both, qualitative and quantitative), post-harvesting and processing for the fruit sector (apricot and cherry in particular);
- Ensure the introduction of intercropping techniques (chickpeas, thyme, almonds);
- Support activities to improve the business skills of cooperatives and producers as per project design;
- Promote capacity building and technical skills to authorities (Chamber of Commerce and Ministry of Agriculture) as designed in the project;
- Facilitate organization and follow up of exchange visits involving the local stakeholders (Chamber of Commerce, Ministry of Agriculture, LARI Research Institute, producer cooperatives).
1. Prepare a baseline concerning the socio-economic status of beneficiaries at the start of the project.
2. Plan workshops / training / information meetings and awareness-raising on needs analysis and financial planning, cost analysis and management control, farmer associations and cooperativism.
3. Conduct training, field extension and monitoring for product qualitative development; elaboration of a production cycle manual (irrigation, pruning, fertilization); facilitate producers access to local markets
3.1 Participating in the elaboration of the analysis of the agronomic characterization of the producers prior to the planning of the productive reorganization work.
3.2 Continuous technical assistance to producers for the adoption of improved production techniques oriented towards quality, productivity and environmental sustainability.
3.2 Monitoring of progress in the adoption of the production re-organization.
3.3 Networking producers and local institutions involved in the application of the Quality Management System (QMS).
4. Assist in the development of criteria for beneficiary’s selection for material or equipment supply, and supporting the tool’s distribution;
5. Accompany beneficiaries in the use of distributed tools, especially the equipment for whom rules for collective use must be clearly defined;
6. Support beneficiaries in the introduction of associated crops to the apricot plantation (intercropping) in all technical aspects;
7. Support conduction of market studies to be carried out by consultants with the aim of seizing business opportunities at national and international level;
8. Support producers in developing a commercial strategy;
9. Support the key local stakeholders in participating to international fairs and study tours;
10. Support the organization of a training for SME development and start-up, the establishment of business incubators and the launch of a grant program for small enterprises start-up.
- Agricultural Engineer (preferably Master in Plant Production) with minimum 1 year of working experience on agriculture and in particular field work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English language
- Good attitude and experience in working with agricultural producers, partners and allies
- Excellent communication skills in building relationships with local and international contacts
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible and sensitive in demanding situations; passion for working with others
- Good understanding of, and commitment to, gender equity
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving
- Driving license (mandatory)
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of John Paul II Foundation
- Experience in the cooperative sector and other forms of producers’ organization
- Knowledge of local market dynamics
- Availability of personal vehicle to conduct field visits
CVs will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. Selected candidates will be called for interviews and selection tests.
Interviews will take place in FGPII Head Quarter, Rue Gouraud, 191Gemmayzeh, Beirut.
We thank all those who will send their application, but we inform that only candidates pre-selected for an interview will be contacted
Note: for more information about the organization, please consult our webpage: www.fondazionegiovannipaolo.org