Site Engineer (2 Positions) - "National Contract"
- The application should be in English including: CV and motivation letter.
- Please submit your application to [email protected] write as Subject of the Email the Reference number and Job Position as follows; GVC Ref 202009_03 Site Engineer (2 Positions) - "National Contract".
- Applications in Arabic will not be considered.
- Deadline for submitting the application: 24th of September 2020 (Applications received after this deadline will not be considered).
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- GVC encourage people with special needs to apply.
GVC is an Italian NGO founded in 1971. Actually is working in 22 countries worldwide. GVC presence in Lebanon dates back to the begin of Syrian Crisis and since then GVC has been implementing emergency and development projects in Bekaa and Akkar financed by International Donors mainly in WASH sector.
GVC is actually recruiting personnel to cover the position of 2 Site Engineers to support activities in Beirut, Lebanon
Position Title: Site Engineer
Line manager: Field coordinator
Technical supervisor: Multi-sectorial Response Specialist
Duty station: Beirut, with daily travel to project areas
Salary grade: G5/L2 – 1,700USD net salary
Under the direct supervision of Field Coordinator, the Site Engineer will be a part of WW-GVC technical team in Beirut leading on the shelter rehabilitation activities (residential units) following the Beirut Port Explosion on the 4th of August. The site engineer will be responsible of the identification, technical assessments, design of response (including drawings and bill of Quantities), planning, communication with contractors and beneficiaries, supervision of works, and throughout the process monitoring and reporting on time and budget of interventions under responsibility. The engineer will be the responsible to ensure that activities are executed within the specified timeframe, allocated budget, and in conformance to the set design, specifications and donor’s requirements, and in accordance to the local coordination mechanism under the shelter sector;
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct technical assessments of affected units, apartments and buildings to assess the damages;
- Develop detailed Bill of Quantities (BoQs) designing the needed response for minor, and major rehab in each residential unit;
- Design and develop technical drawings, specifications, and implementation guidance;
- Plan the response and update the plan on regular basis with the relevant bodies;
- Support the Field Coordinator in the organization, planning and overseeing of the response activities;
- Supervise on daily and/or scheduled basis the implementation of rehab activities through field visits and ensure that all activities are performed on schedule and in accordance with the work plan and specifications;
- Support the Field Coordinator and Liaison Officer, conduct visits and meetings with the local authorities and stakeholders to complete necessary agreements and build a common understanding of WW-GVC planned work;
- Communicate with targeted communities throughout the course of the project;
- Ensure safety regulations are followed at all times during the progress of the works;
- Prepare accurate daily, weekly, and monthly reports about the works progress and timely reports about specific activities;
- Guarantee that all the technical documentation is properly filled, updated and classified;
- Report to and discuss with the Field Coordinator any technical issues which may have a direct impact on the general implementation of the project and the organisation’s activities in the area;
- Support in evaluating progress of the outputs, and develop corrective actions in coordination with Field Coordinator and Multi-sectorial Specialist to mitigate any delay in implementation, review achievement and constraints and provide feedback accordingly;
- Guarantee the compliance of WW-GVC interventions with Lebanese regulations (standards, environmental procedures, safety…);
- Facilitate the coordination between Contractors, Communities and local authorities;
- Support the Field Coordinator and the Multi-Sectorial Specialist in the development of technical documents including the operation manual, technical specifications and monitor activities are in line with project Operation Manual;
- Represent WW-GVC appropriately and ensure maximum visibility of WW-GVC actions among to the community, other NGOs and institutional partners;
- Follow and apply the Do No Harm Principle at all times;
- Any other task not here listed and necessary to the projects and activities.
- Technical Degree in Civil/Architecture or similar subject;
- At least 2 years’ experience working in an engineering field (Construction, consultancy, structures, etc..) or relevant experiences;
- At least 1-year experience working in minor rehab, major rehab, structural rehab, WASH and/or infrastructure with a non-governmental international organization;
- Experience in working with a contractor is an asset;
- Proven experience in Microsoft office, CAD (AutoCad), Primavera or any other planning software is a must;
- Experience in additional engineering software is an asset. Good knowledge of GIS (QGIS, ArcGIS) and software is an asset;
- Good knowledge of the Health and Safety regulations in the workplace;
- Familiarity with construction sector and Local/International standards;
- Experience in conducting surveys, managing and analysing data and statistics;
- Experience in preparing layouts, designs, specifications and Bills of Quantities;
- Driving licence (at least 2 years) - (mandatory).
PERSONAL AND INTER-PERSONAL SKILLS
- Knowledge of Arabic and good command in written and spoken English (mandatory);
- Good communication skills (with local authorities and communities);
- Ability to negotiate and assist in the resolution of disputes/conflict;
- Understanding of and commitment to humanitarian principles and values;
- High level of self- initiative, autonomy and problem solving skills and ability to work within a team;
- Ability to work calmly and efficiently under pressure, prioritize tasks and meet tight deadlines;
- Being flexible and with the ability to adjust to changes and new requirements;
- Good organisational and co-ordination skills being able to successfully manage time, plans, projects and other related tasks;
- Able to prioritise work effectively for execution with limited resources;
- High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently and open to scrutiny;
- Be exceptionally detail oriented and technically minded;
- Deep knowledge of Beirut environment would be considered an asset.
- Contract duration: 6 months full-time (till March 31st, 2021), with 3 months’ probation period;
- Working hours: Monday to Saturday 8:00 am till 4:30 pm
- Required Starting Date: 01st of October 2020
- Duty Station: GVC Beirut office with daily field activities in target areas
- In case of Emergency activities can be protracted during Sundays or Public Holiday. In such cases, form of compensation (additional recovery days, etc.) according to National Laws will be granted