Expression Of Interest "Software Developer to develop financial application" TA to MEHE 72.3038.6-001.00
1. Project Background
1.1 The situation
Lebanon has been suffering from instability on all levels for decades, but the situation has further aggravated in the last few years. Three years of layering of crises on top of one another - the economic crisis, compounded by COVID-19, the 2020 Beirut Port explosions and political instability have left all families residing in the country struggling to survive. Currently, Lebanon finds itself in a never before faced compounded crisis of extreme complexity, which was the result of several factors including the refugee crisis that started in 2011, noting that country is currently hosting 831,053 Syrian refugees and 479,537 Palestinian refugees according to latest UN agencies reports, in addition to the economic vulnerability and contraction, continuous political crisis, social unrest and heightened challenges since October 2019, the on-going debt crisis, COVID-19 and health crisis, banking and currency crisis, cumulative inflation rate, education sector crisis, which was preceded by teachers’ protests since 2017-2018 against low remuneration and the Beirut Blast in August 2020 and its on-going consequences. All these crises resulted in enormous strains on population’s physical and mental health, access to food, basic services, education, and safety among others.
1.2 Current situation in the target sector
The events that took place in the last few years have added further layers of obstacles on top of an already compromised Lebanese public and private schooling system in its efforts to provide education for children residing in Lebanon. The crisis left an impact on the different levels of the education system, starting with MEHE’s inability to perform normally due to the economic and social situation, teachers and staff’s losing motivation and students unable to attend classes on daily bases for several reasons among many other levels. The crisis’ impact on the educational sector affects children’s wellbeing and threatens their future, the social stability (including people’s ability to escape the vicious cycle of poverty) and country’s abilities to overcome the socioeconomic and political depression and to set up a sustainable governance and economic model. The below provides a detailed insight on the current situation in the education sector in Lebanon and sheds the light on major gaps and existing issues:
- Access to education opportunities and disruption of education services
- Quality of education services
- Governance of education systems
- Education-related expenditures for families and MEHE
- Large donor group involved in the sector.
- MEHE needs and gaps.
- Budgeting and Planning
- Capacity Gaps
- “Internal Politics”
1.3 About the project
With the country slipping deeper into an economic and financial crisis, the education sector and the Ministry Education and Higher Education (MEHE) are in high need of support to ensure their ability to sustain their operations and remain able to deliver high quality education to all children residing in Lebanon. While the complexity of the situation is increasing, with high number of dropouts and out-of-school children, a significant number of students migrating from private to the public school because they cannot afford the high fees anymore, low teachers’ motivation, challenges on the level of transportation and unavailability of basic needs at schools such as power, in addition to a considerable decline in the quality of education, support is needed to ensure that MEHE, including Directorate for General Education(DGE) and all other departments, guarantee learning continuity under a multiple crisis context through a more resilient education system, that is able to provide quality, inclusive and safe education for all children.
To cover the existing gaps, the Technical Assistance to the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (TA to MEHE), aims at “building an education system (Ministry for Education and Higher Education) better equipped and able to deliver quality basic education”, through the below 3 outcomes:
- Outcome 1: enhance the governance capacities of the MEHE in the field of strategic and operational planning, monitoring, and reporting, budgeting, and public finance management.
- Outcome 2: enhance the capacities of the MEHE for the delivery of quality teaching and learning by management and educational staff empowered with 21st century skills development.
- Outcome 3: enhance the performance of the public education system (MEHE) through improved management and business operating procedures.
2. The assignment
2.1 Background for the assignment
The Ministry of Education and Higher Education in Lebanon is currently moving its financial processes to a more efficient format using currently available digital tools.
2.2 Outline of the mission
The project is currently seeking a highly skilled and motivated Software Developer to work on developing a financial application that meets requirements and supports the existing software infrastructure.
The ideal candidate for this role should have excellent software development skills and expertise along with excellent written and communication skills. Organisational abilities are also highly valued in this role, as they play an important role in ensuring effective collaboration and efficient project implementation management.
2.3 Description of the activities to be performed by the STE:
- Develop new web applications as requested by the Director General (DG), relevant supervisors, and management, utilizing both packaged and customized applications.
- Conduct technical review of the existing financial Application used by the K-12 public schooling sector and advise on the automation process accordingly.
- Work under the supervision of the Public Finance Management advisor and other experts assigned from DGE to make sure that the budget model/system is tailored to the need of DGE.
- Develop/Write the code and relevant algorithm for the required financial application.
- Test and modify codes/programs for the relevant application to ensure that it operates reliably.
- Perform complete testing of the implemented Web Application.
- Identify fault, diagnose bugs, and advise on the corrections needed.
- Assure safe and secure integration with other existing applications at MEHE.
- Conduct all user acceptances testing, and report results.
- Analyse, design, coordinate and supervise the application’s development cycle.
- Design and implement user-driven templates, databases and interfaces for ease application and use.
- Develop database-driven Web interfaces for rapid and real-time information sharing.
- Develop external Web portals allowing users to input and retrieve accurate information.
- Support in conducting needs assessment and gathering required information.
- Collaborate closely with development teams to comprehensively grasp and define application requirements and align them precisely with specified specifications.
- Write SQL code (stored procedures, triggers, database scripts) to implement business logic and database maintenance.
- Support technical team at MEHE in the development of any in-house applications that may deep necessary.
- Convert and upgrade applications to new technologies in place.
- Create required reports and dashboards in response to business user needs and various applications.
2.4 Outputs/Results of the mission
The outputs/results requested from the STE are:
- Relevant code developed and written based on the need and following the guidance provided by the financial expert.
- Financial application is developed.
- Integration of the new financial application with NSL and other databases is available and possible.
- Compliance with laws, rules and regulations is assured.
- Code is developed and delivered to concerned party at MEHE.
- Application is tested among relevant personnel at MEHE.
- Application is endorsed by DG and the director of the private schooling department at MEHE.
- Technical user’s manual is developed and delivered.
- A technical assistance support scenario is developed.
- Selected personnel are trained on the use of the application.
3. Expert Profile
3.1 Qualifications and skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent field
- Strong knowledge in programming languages Microsoft .Net ASP.net/MVC/ADO.NET.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with individuals at all levels, regardless of their level of knowledge or expertise.
- Exhibit a high level of self-motivation, meticulous attention to detail, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with least supervision.
- Collaborative team player, actively participating in team efforts, sharing knowledge and expertise, and displaying a willingness to learn and grow continuously.
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Possessing relevant certifications is considered a bonus.
- Previous experience in developing financial applications.
- Ability to construct user guides and technical documentation.
- Fluency in Arabic and English. Knowledge of French is an advantage.
3.2 General professional experience
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in coding and development.
- Solid experience in MS SQL, including expertise in database design and administration.
- Good understanding of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) principles.
3.3 Specific professional experience
- Experience working on financial applications is an asset.
How to apply
The applicant shall submit their CV in PDF format by Friday, 04.12.2023 by 23:59 Beirut Local Time at the latest, to the following email address: [email protected] mentioning subject line "EOI - Software Developer to develop financial application" TA to MEHE
Failing to state the subject line will automatically lead to candidacy disqualification.
Note: Please be aware that the selected candidate will be invited to attend an interview.
N.B. GIZ mailbox receive size is capped at 25 MB. Documents exceeding the mentioned MB should be transferred via : Start (giz.de) (provide the password within your email)Expired