Media Campaigns Manager
Salary: Competitive commensurate with experience
Responsible to: Director of Communications
Benefits: Health insurance; 4-6% employer contribution to pension scheme; five weeks of annual leave, rising to six weeks after three years’ service; inflationary salary increases; three months paid sabbatical after 5 years; and more
Closing Date for applications: 23:59 GMT Sunday 15 July 2018
You are a changemaker with the soul and energy of an activist who understands how change takes place and has a demonstrable passion for making it happen. You have experience of developing major creative campaigns that have compelled the world’s most powerful people to take action.
Reporting to Crisis Action’s Communications Director, you will be – alongside our Digital Campaigns Strategist – part of our small but powerful communications team. This is a hands-on role in which you will also work closely with colleagues around the globe to deliver world-class communications strategies that drive real change.
As a creative engine for the organisation, you will drive innovation in how we work with traditional and new media, providing perspectives and insight from your vantage point in the Middle East. You will help build our ability to capture stories and inspire the confidence and skills in your colleagues to tell them. You will measure success, capture learning and help us bring light to the plight of civilians trapped in conflicts around the world.
As well as working with Crisis Action staff, you will be in regular contact with colleagues in our partner organisations - many of the world’s largest and most high-profile humanitarian and human rights groups - meaning that the ability to work with and motivate others, across teams, organisations and time zones, will be crucial.
You will have an excellent political mind, deep roots and great contacts across the Middle East, as well as significant experience using the power of the media to drive change.
You are a leader and a mentor but you aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty. You will need to hit the ground running and be ready to engage with your new colleagues and partners to harness their resources and ambition, as well as craft messages and storylines essential to delivering effective campaigns.
Your work will span several regions and will require some overseas travel.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with the media to enhancing campaign impact;
- Devising new and exciting ways to compel the media to cover the issues and we work on in ways that will drive change;
- Drafting and editing media and communications materials (op-eds, press releases, engagement strategies, etc.) for use across markets;
- Coordinating public-facing campaign drives between partners and across different regions as part of campaign roll-out;
- Comprehensively monitoring coverage and impact and ensuring lessons are learned;
- Driving excellence and enhancing organisational learning;
- Ensuring excellence at all stages of the campaign cycle by inspiring and modelling innovation, quality and ambition;
- Building the skills and confidence of colleagues by contributing to organisational media development and training plans;
- Providing ad-hoc mentorship, guidance and hands-on support for Crisis Action’s team and partners;
- Contribute to continuous development of communications systems and processes that enhance better and smoother media delivery across the organisation.
- Building and nurturing an excellent global media network:
- Ensuring you and your colleagues at Crisis Action develop and maintain rock-solid relationships with key media across key media markets;
- Helping build a first-rate network of influential communicators across the Middle East and Africa;
- Developing and expanding our media databases.
Essential skills and experience:
- 5+ years of experience working with the media, whether through campaigning or practicing journalism
- Proven track-record of contributing to successful cause-driven campaigns
- Impeccable news sense
- In-depth knowledge of Middle East media and the international news scene
- Exceptional team worker
- Track record of delivering attention-grabbing media coverage
- Energetic and creative approach to problem solving
- Established relationships with key media and the confidence and skills to develop more
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A political mind with the ability to think and work strategically
- Ability to take a brief and rapidly master new areas of work
- Good negotiation skills
- High levels of ambition, energy, determination, and focus
- A positive can-do attitude and the drive and initiative to deliver in a coalition setting
- Ability to work under pressure, and respond to changing demands and priorities
- A commitment to Crisis Action’s mission
The following would be an advantage:
- Fluency in Arabic
- Experience in digital campaigns and content creation
- Fluency in other languages
- Experience of campaigning and advocacy in multiple markets
- Experience in mentorship and training
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via our online system no later than 23:59 GMT Sunday 15 July 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. We regret that due to the volume of applications we cannot respond individually to each applicant.