Livelihood Project Manager
Upon submission, please include "Livelihood Project Manager" in the subject of the email
- Applications without Cover letter will not be considered
-Only short-listed candidates will have their applications acknowledged
- Please include the details of three professional references in your CV ( Name, Phone Number, Email Address, Company's name)
-Concern is an Equal Opportunities Employer
-Any attempts to influence the selection process will lead to disqualification
Job Purpose: To support the Livelihoods Program team and partners to ensure high quality programming and learning by supporting implementation, monitoring & evaluation and accountability to beneficiaries of the Livelihoods Programme.
Concern Worldwide Lebanon Livelihoods program is designed around three themes: Skill building and income generation, Sustainable Agriculture and value chain development, and Micro & Small enterprise Development. Concern Lebanon aims to decrease household economic vulnerability and reliance on harmful coping strategies by increasing access to livelihoods and protection information and skills; home-based income-generating activities; and training and career guidance linked to savings and protection.
Under the management of the Livelihoods Program Manager, the Livelihoods Project Manager will lead the implementation and team management of BPRM funded value chain humanitarian and development project (Herbs and Dairy, falling under Concern’s Agriculture Program) and other current/future livelihood projects. The position will be based within the Concern Halba office, but with frequent travel to the project sites (Akkar and T5) and Beirut for representation during National Working groups (Livelihoods and Food Security), with Donors and in other humanitarian forums.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Supporting Programme Development and Implementation
- With the support of the Livelihood Program Manager, provide strategic direction and planning for the programme in line with Concern’s Policies & organizational strategy, Livelihood and Food Security sector strategy, the government’s strategy and donor requirements;
- In collaboration with the Livelihood Program Manager, design and adapt livelihood/food security activities in accordance with the Livelihood and Food Security Sector strategy, organisational learning (through MEAL system) and international standards to support the most vulnerable in country; (including but not limited to: support the improvement of poor farming methods and marketing strategies, roll out of Farmer Field Schools and Farmer Business Schools approach, Cooperative and MSMEs support, Cash-for-work and Cash-for-learning for agricultural workers, market studies and promotion of decent work conditions);
- Ensure that programme targets are reached in accordance with agreed programme objectives, as per contracts with donors and in line with the overall programme approach;
- Provide technical support, staff guidance and input, and participate to produce materials to improve the livelihood/food security activities on an on-going basis, as required in the programme;
- Ensure that all resources (technical, financial, HR) are in place to implement the different aspects of the Livelihood Programme in accordance with work plans and with realistic timeframes and milestones agreed with contractor and donors;
- Participate in and actively contribute to programme coordination meetings and planning sessions.
- Integrate a conflict and gender sensitive approach in project design, monitoring and implementation in coordination with the Protection and MEAL teams;
- Adapt the program to the COVID-19 situation as aligned to the sector strategy and LCRP;
- Carry out regular field visits to the project sites and review the approach through participatory methodologies involving Program’s participants and other stakeholders in the areas of intervention, with the aim of establishing and/or verifying emerging needs, gaps and priorities, and communicate these to the Program Manager and Programmes Director as part of a continuous programme review and improvement process;
- In collaboration with the Livelihood Program Manager, prepare M&E tools and data collection methods based on the programmes results based framework, donor requirements and reporting needs, which contributes to continual learning and program quality;
- With support from the MEAL Team, train the livelihood team on the M&E tools and methods, and provide follow up support as required;
- Leads and support research and analysis of livelihoods-based interventions and help team carry out livelihoods related assessments, value chain assessment and market based assessment as required. Ensure that information is shared in an appropriate and timely manner;
- Ensure that all programme activities are appropriate and are based on evidence and needs and in line with Concern’s Country strategy;
- Update as requested the service mapping of Concern’s program;
- Support co-ordination and information sharing with NGOs pertaining to referrals and activity co-ordination;
- Maintain regular communication with external referral agencies for service provisions;
- Support the Programme Manager and Program Director to seek out in-country and international funding opportunities for potential livelihoods activities and programmes, and secure funding through the development of high quality evidence based inputs for project/programme proposals and concept notes.
- Lead and manage assigned Specialists, Officers and Associates contributing to their capacity building and career development and to successfully achieve the programme objectives and timeframes;
- Coach all team members to ensure they fully understand outcomes which are expected of them, through Concern’s Performance Development Reviews system (PDRs), job description and workplan;
- Participate in the capacity building of national partners through development of tailored training materials and delivery of trainings;
- Participate in the recruitment of new livelihood staff as directed by the Livelihood Programme Manager;
- Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff, in particular with a thorough induction at the start of their contract;
- Ensure all team members have accurate job descriptions with clear objectives and identify and facilitate training when required;
- Evaluate Livelihood staff’s work performance in accordance with Concern administrative procedures;
- Ensure that all staff is aware of, and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures both programmatic and systematic;
- Support technical teams to work collaboratively to achieve targets of the program set for 2020/2021.
Reporting and information Management
- Support the Livelihood Management Team in establishing & maintaining accurate files and records in a safe and secure way – in line with data protection requirements;
- Ensure all livelihood related M&E tools are utilized correctly and that information is collected and analysed and actions taken to ensure quality service provision;
- Reporting: Collect, compile and analyse monthly reports from the team;
- Contribute with high quality data and analysis to donor reports on project deliverables;
- Report on Activity Info on a monthly basis the progress of Concern’s Livelihood Program.
- Support the Program Manager in writing donor and annual reports.
Procurement and Budget management
- Assist the Livelihood Programme Manager in budget planning, revision and management on a regular basis in coordination with the Finance team to ensure that project expenditure is accurate and that appropriate resources are allocated to meet the objectives of the project.
- Participate in the preparation of monthly cashflows;
- Ensure contracts and payment are prepared as per Concern’s thresholds , Concern and donor financial guidelines, ensuring that requested expenses match approved procurement plans;
- Update and track procurement plans against approved work plans and ensure timely initiation of procurement requests in line with Concern guidelines and procedures;
- Ensure that Concern and donor policies are followed in the selection of contractors and that the tender decisions are well documented;
- Ensure all contractors’ performance is evaluated and evaluations are formally documented;
- Manage warehouse livelihood material stock and dispatches to avoid idle stocking, and ensure deliveries are completed in compliance with Concern procedures and project’s deliverables.
Coordination and Representation:
- Represent Concern Lebanon at a local, regional and national level in relevant Livelihood and Food security related meetings with donors, stakeholder and other relevant actors as necessary;
- Ensure good coordination of the livelihood/food security programme activities with all relevant stakeholders, including the Ministry of Agriculture, (I)NGOs, UN agencies, donors, and municipalities, to assure that works are implemented as planned and agreed with donors.
- Adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies;
- Support and promote the standards outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies to the team, partners and stakeholders and be committed to providing a safe working environment;
- Support the effective management of the Complaint Response Mechanism (CRM) to ensure maximum protection of programme participants and the efficient and transparent use of Concern’s resources;
- Ensure appropriate accountability mechanisms are put in place and functional, ensure targeting errors are duly corrected;
- Support programming and field staff to ensure that projects are designed and carried out with the participation of targeted communities and that information is shared with communities.
- When necessary support emergency response programming for Concern as and when requested.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director and the Programmes Director.
- Master’s level degree in Agronomy, Business Management, Project Management, Community Development and or relative field;
- Strong work experience in managing agriculture and dairy projects in livelihoods sector will be preferred;
- Minimum 3 years previous experience of senior management role in humanitarian and development programmes;
- Technical expertise in sustainable livelihoods, Climate Smart Agriculture, local economic development, technical vocations;
- Previous experience in results-based management, quantitative and qualitative tools and methodologies for project monitoring and pro-poor project development with a strong understanding of livelihoods principles and processes;
- Ability to work effectively with and contribute to multidisciplinary teams and provide team leadership;
- Demonstrable understanding and knowledge of inequality, rights related to development and emergency contexts, gender inequality, analysis and prevention and response to Gender Based Violence;
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel and Word;
- Strong English, both writing and speaking;
- Experience participating in and working under a Cluster coordination system;
- Dynamic and willing to take initiatives to complete assigned task, and work independently;
- Delegation, time management and prioritizing skills and coping with broad range of demands;
- High level of critical thinking and proven high quality analytical skills and problem solving abilities.