Agriculture Specialist Engineer - Livelihoods
This Position is Subject to Availability of Funding.
- Upon submission, please include "Agriculture Specialist Engineer" in the subject of the email.
- Applications without Cover letter will not be considered -Only short-listed candidates will have their applications acknowledged.
- Please include the details of three professional references in your CV ( Name, Phone Number, Email Address, Company's name).
- Concern is an Equal Opportunities Employer and any attempt to influence the selection process will lead to disqualify your application.
Concern Worldwide is seeking a candidate for the position of Livelihoods –Specialist Agriculture Engineer to be based in Halba, Akkar, Lebanon with frequent movement to Akkar and T5. Concern Worldwide Lebanon Livelihoods program is designed around three themes: Skill building and income generation through Sustainable Agriculture, and Micro & Small enterprise Development. Concern Lebanon aims to decrease household economic vulnerability and reliance on harmful coping strategies by increasing access to livelihoods and protection information and skills; home-based income-generating activities; and training and career guidance linked to savings and protection.
Under the direct guidance of the Livelihoods Project Manager, the Livelihoods –Specialist Agriculture Engineer will support the implementation of BPRM-funded activities supporting herbs and dairy value chains falling under Concern’s Agriculture program. The Livelihoods –Specialist Agriculture Engineer will provide technical expertise and recommendations on the design adaptation of the project and the implementation of its activities. S/he will support the Program Manager and Project Manager in monitoring the overall context in the sector for timely change and adaptation of the project activities and risk mitigation. S/he will support in all aspects of project management including coordination with other actors, financial and procurement processes in order to ensure agreed objectives are effectively met and in a timely manner. Concern is looking for an individual with demonstrable technical knowledge and professional experience in plant based (in particular herbs) and dairy value chains. This includes experience in the production and processing sectors of products related to those value chains. S/he will have solid understanding of the project cycle and experience working in non-profit or public institutes on livelihoods programs.
Roles and responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise and support to on-going Agriculture program under the guidance of the Project Manager in Akkar and T5 and to the implementation of activities.
- Support the project teams in planning and implementing project activities to meet project deliverables based on timeline and scope agreed with the donor.
- Facilitate coordination with private sector partners and service contractors in terms of project implementation.
- Livelihoods –Specialist Agriculture Engineer will lead the selection, assessment and training of beneficiaries, cooperatives and small businesses, and business planning for cooperatives and/or small businesses in coordination with the team, including Protection Officers. S/he will be responsible for the through filing and record keeping of activities.
- Lead a Gender risk assessment in agriculture during the inception phase of the project and support the MEAL team in analysis the results and writing the report.
- Provide guidance to the MEAL department and Agriculture Officers to ensure quality and timely data collection as per the M&E plan. Support the livelihood Team in implementing activities, organizing meetings and trainings and monitoring of project progress.
- Participate in analysing the context to adapt and modify the project activities to meet the objectives and mitigate risks.
- Ensure best practices in terms of COVID-19 prevention are followed on the fields and in the office, and activities are adapted as per Concern’s internal SOPs and sector guidance.
- Support team planning and coordination meetings and trainings with consistent follow-up on the activities assigned by the livelihoods Program Manager.
- Work closely with the local private sector partners and service contracts to schedule trainings and follow up, coordinating with the staff of Concern Worldwide to ensure that all logistical, administrative and financial matters are addressed appropriately.
- Will be responsible to coordinate with MEAL department and communication officers to plan visibility, case studies and knowledge dissemination.
- Lead research on the selected value chains for continuous improvement of the program.
- Prepare weekly reports to be submitted to the Livelihood Program Manager. Contribute to quarterly reports and other ad hoc reports to meet donor and internal requirements.
- Support with day to day functions of the program, including coordination with the logistic, HR and Finance.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Concern Worldwide and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Participate in emergency assessment and response if requested, including Rapid Need Assessment, distribution of Shelter and NFI kits.
- Other assigned tasks, as necessary.
Representation and Coordination
- Represent Concern Lebanon at local, regional and national level in regards to meetings with Consortium members, donors, stakeholder and other relevant actors as necessary.
- Participate to project presentation to external stakeholders;
- Coordinate project activities with other actors and stakeholders in the programme area as necessary.
- Adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies.
- Support and promote the standards outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct and its associated policies to their team, partner and stakeholders and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
Qualification and Experience:
- Minimum Master’s degree or equivalent in agribusiness, agriculture, agricultural economics, agricultural development, international development, project management, industry and food processing or similar is required.
- Proven past technical knowledge and 3 years professional experience in the agriculture sector, including experience with micro-gardens, is required.
- Experience in food processing and dairy production will be an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in community based development project with national or international NGO.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in implementing agriculture training projects.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing. Fluency in Arabic with strong written skills in Arabic.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office package, especially Excel and Word.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to adapt to change and work under pressure.
- Very good communicator and problem solver.
- Strong empathy skills and genuine care and respect for needs of others.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Non-judgmental attitude and respect for Concern’s beneficiaries, other staff and people that Concern deals with.