Consultant: COVID-19 Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing (MEP Engineer)
Purpose: In coordination with the Disaster Risk Management Unit at Presidency of the Council of Ministers' (DRMU), Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is seeking an engineer consultant to directly support light rehabilitation work and installation of equipment at the designated isolation centers in Lebanon. Based on the DRMU-led assessment and Reference for Setting Up and Managing an Isolation Center, develop a detailed Bill of Quantities (BOQ) for procurement of contracted services and items and oversee the completion of the works and installation of equipment.
Since the first case of the novel coronavirus in Lebanon was recorded in Lebanon on February 21, 2020, 1662 people, including 64 healthcare workers, are reported to have been infected and 33 people have died. To prepare for future increases in COVID-19 cases, the Government of Lebanon (GoL) is working to increase the capacity of the health care system by expanding hospital capacity for critical cases and developing a network of isolation centers in local communities to care for mild to moderate cases. To support these efforts, CRS will assist up to four of the selected isolation centers to repurpose their facilities to meet the needs of COVID-19 patients. To date, the DRMU has completed a detailed assessment and prepared a list of needed repairs and equipment for Phase 1 of the selected sites. CRS is seeking an engineer to review the list of needs for up to four selected sites, conduct site visits to develop a detailed BOQ for necessary works, and oversee the successful completion of the works within the specified timeframe and budget.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- With CRS team:
- Coordinate with the CRS Head of Programs, CRS Program Manager and Health Advisor to develop a timeline for the implementation and completion of works, to be adjusted upon site visits.
- In coordination with the CRS Health Advisor and isolation center manager, conduct physical site assessments to develop technical specifications and a BOQ for each site to function as an isolation center. Develop a reasonable and realistic timeline for the completion of the works with site visits and inspections planned at specific milestones.
- Advise the CRS team of any technical aspects of the contracted services that may affect construction progress, e.g. quality or snag.
- Provide advice on all issues regarding the renovations and ensure that the necessary documentation and information is provided to the appropriate authorities if required.
- Where required prepare technical clarifications to the tendered design to suit specific on-site construction and co-ordination issues.
- Submit written reports on the progress of the works and completion of specific milestones to facilitate the payment of contractors.
- Prepare and deliver effective oral presentations whenever required.
- With CRS Selected Contractor
- Review Contractor’s mechanical services material proposals against specified technical performance requirements and advise the CRS team on the appropriateness of the proposals.
- Review Contractor’s proposed contractor(s) associated with the engineering works from a technical standpoint.
- Promote health and safety on the site and ensure contractors uphold CRS’ Code of Conduct. Record and report any breaches to the Program Manager. If required stop the construction works if unsafe practices are being followed.
- Review and comment on the Contractor’s material purchased or fixed and advise the CRS team accordingly.
- Prepare and maintain an on-going list of equipping / renovating services defects.
- Attend project, site progress and any engineering services related technical meetings as directed by the CRS team.
- Provide advice to the CRS team in regard to any mechanical services related to variable costs that may be claimed by the Contractor during the course of the works.
- Review and comment on the Contractor’s Operation and Maintenance manuals.
- Oversee all works performed by the selected contractor at isolation center sites and ensure successful completion.
- Developing BOQs and timeline for works to be completed in up to four quarantine centers.
- Abiding by the specified timeline for the completion of the works.
- Written progress reports at each milestone of the works completion.
- Final in-person presentation of completed works and written report summarizing project completion.
- Conduct site visits to isolation centers and prepare a BOQ during the first two weeks of the consultancy.
- Review Contractors Bids and support on the bid selection during the first month of the consultancy.
- Oversee installation and the equipping process during the second and third month of the consultancy.
- Submit detailed reports during project implementation.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as an engineer, managing construction sites.
- Member of the Syndicate of Engineers.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with teams of varying skills in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent in Arabic and English.
- Analytical skills for mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering problems and ability to affectively formulate solutions.
- Experience working with INGOs preferred.
List of People / Organizations to work with:
- Head of Programs
- Program Manager
- Procurement Staff
- CRS Selected Contractors
- Isolation Centers focal points