Consultant: COVID-19 Health Advisor
Purpose: In coordination with the Disaster Risk Management Unit at Presidency of the Council of Ministers' (DRMU), Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is seeking a Health Advisor consultant (Health Advisor) to directly support the establishment of four isolation centers for COVID-19 cases. The Health Advisor will provide guidance on repurposing the facilities to respect Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) measures and safely provide care to COVID-19 patients. Based on guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO), the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) and DRMU, the Health Advisor will also coordinate with Isolation Center managers to develop tailored standard operating procedures for staff at each site. The Health Advisor will coordinate with the CRS team, an engineer, and isolation center staff to ensure light renovation work and equipment purchased to repurpose the center contributes to a safe, healthy environment for staff, volunteers and patients.
Since the first case of the coronavirus was recorded in Lebanon on February 21, 2020, 1662 people have been infected and 33 people have died. To prepare for future increases in COVID-19 cases, the Government of Lebanon (GoL) is working to increase the capacity of the healthcare system by expanding hospital capacity for critical cases and is developing a network of isolation centers in local communities to care for mild to moderate cases. To support these efforts, CRS will assist up to four of the selected isolation centers to repurpose their facilities to meet the needs of COVID-19 patients. To date, the DRMU has completed a detailed assessment and prepared a list of needed repairs and equipment for Phase 1 of the selected sites. CRS is seeking a Health Advisor to coordinate with the engineer to ensure light renovation work and equipment purchased to repurpose the site to be in line with IPC recommendations and coordinate with isolation center managers to develop tailored Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for staff to safely care for COVID-19 patients.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Meet with CRS Lebanon Head of Programs, Program Manager and engineer to develop a phased plan of support for up to four isolation centers.
- Visit the four centers to observe centers layout and programming space. Provide feedback to CRS on strengths and areas to be addressed based on observations.
- Meet with Isolation Centers’ team members to gather input on the current health management practices, gaps, and focus points from relevant stakeholders;
- In coordination with isolation center managers, develop an outline for SOPs to operate the facility as an isolation center.
- Work with the CRS technical advisors and local health officials in drafting the tailored SOPS for each isolation center.
- Support the staff and isolation center team by setting up, managing and/or supporting infection control measures.
- Determine how medical/epidemic surveillance is carried out within specific contexts and ensure that international minimum standards are respected in the Isolation center, including adherence to reporting requirements/mechanisms established by DRMU.
- Ensure all activities conducted at the isolation centers upholds CRS’ Code of Conduct.
- Ensure SOPs include and provide quality services to diverse and vulnerable groups, including measures that ensure the protection of women, children and people with special needs.
- In coordination with the PM and CRS MEAL staff, design, manage and/or carry out monitoring and evaluation activities related to context-specific activities; ensure lessons learned are shared with relevant stakeholders and/or are actioned appropriately.
- In coordination with the CRS team, liaise with key organizations (local health departments, government representatives, domestic counterparts, etc.) on a regular basis.
- Contribute to CRS evaluations and other internal/external reports as required.
- Detailed implementation plan outlining timeline for the completion of work and key milestones, developed in coordination with the CRS team, and the isolation center managers
- Set SOPs tailored for up to four isolation centers
- Written progress reports at each milestone of the works completion.
- Final in-person presentation of completed works and written report summarizing project completion.
- Conduct site visits to isolation centers and prepare a detailed implementation plan to set SOP’s during the first two weeks of the consultancy.
- Draft tailored SOPs for the four Isolation Sites during the first month of the consultancy.
- With the CRS team set and test SOP in each of the isolation centers during the second and third month of the consultancy.
- Submit detailed reports during SOP’s implementation.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the Lebanese health field.
- Good understanding of the current Lebanese health structure, strengths, and challenges facing Lebanon on the COVID-19 pandemic level.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with teams of varying skills in a cross-cultural environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent in Arabic and English.
List of People / Organizations to work with:
- Head of Programs
- Program Manager
- CRS MEAL officer
- Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing (MEP) Engineer
- Isolation Centers focal points