Director of Program Implementation
Please mention in the subject of your email the title of the position you are applying for .
Your resume and Cover letter will be forwarded to the HR department for review against the requirements for the role in which you have expressed interest. A member of our Human Resources team will contact you soon if your profile is considered for the job vacancy, and if more information is needed. If you are not being approached by our Human Resources team, please consider your application automatically registered in our database
CARE International in Lebanon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any Kind. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
CARE International in Lebanon and its employees abide by the CARE International Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Child Safeguarding Policies
Director of Programme Implementation
Beirut with frequent travel throughout Lebanon
CARE International foundation and its Mission, is built around life saving, fighting poverty and social justice programming. CARE International Lebnon programs offer variety of spectrum with emergency and development programs across the borad throughout the country. CARE International presence in Lebanon stems from 2006, and recently it has been relaunched in 2014 to support Syrian refugees that were displaced in Lebanon from ongoing civil War. Over the course of 6 years period it has supported over one million beneficiaries by providing protection, livelihoods, and through the distribution of food and non-food items in both humanitarian and development programs.
Currently, CARE International presence is consolidated in Beirut and Tripoli. We also have a small presence in South Lebanon as part of the WASH EC funded Consortium. The main program sectors that CARE Lebanon is working is; Protection, Socio-Economic development and Humanitarian Response with aspiration to work on Environment and Governance. Currently most of the programming is focused in addressing the immediate needs of the Syrian refugees which are residing in Beirut and Tripoli, however it aspires to increase this presence also in Bekaa Valley in near future.
CARE Lebanon has scaled up rapidly over the past few years and today it has just about 70 staff members, with about 8 different local/international organization partners. 90% of the team is composed of national staff with symbolic number of international presences. Over the forthcoming period CARE Lebanon will undergo major important processes which involve Country Strategic Presence, Partnership Programme Oversight and scaling up operations in different parts of Lebanon working in area of Gender, Protection, Livelihoods, and most importantly emergency response and with concept of durable Solution. CARE Lebanon has already worked on its key functions for the forthcoming years and Partnership Program Oversight is one of the key fundamentals. So, it is expected from this post holder to undertake massive changes in ways of working when it comes to the actual implementation of the programs.
All PMs and Logistics Manager
This position will be based in Beirut office, with extensive fieldwork and travel throughout Tripoli, Saida, Tyre and Bekaa Valley.
Based on CIL salary scale
Duration of Contract:
1 year (renewable)
Fixed Term Employment Contract
Other contract elements:
Benefits: Social security/Health Insurance & Transport allowance.
The direct supervisor reserves the right to adapt this job description at any time during employment according to needs.
Any extension of this contract is dependent on performance review and funding availability.
Education & Certification:
Master’s degree in Social Sciences, International relations or related fields.
Minimum Education Level:
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, etc..
Valid driving license
More than 5 years’ experience in a similar role working in managerial functions
More than 10 years experience working in INGO programs
Very good knowledge of Middle East context and its communities
Very good experience in managing teams, budgets and various portfolios
Excellent knowledge of donor expectations and delivery on time
Versatility in terms of inter-changing roles from emergency to early recovery and development
Strong analytical skills,and excellent documentation and communication skills are essential.
Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, excellent planning skills and provide timely quality information and reports
Ability to work well with a team and establish relationships with other teams/offices
Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures with highly developed interpersonal skills and fluency in English
IT / Software / Skills:
Good command of Excel, Word, and Outlook
Language Speaking Reading Writing
English Fluent Fluent Fluent
Arabic Desirable Desirable Desirable
French Optional Optional Optional
- Demonstrated experience in staff/budget management, training and coaching
- Knows well INGO programming cycles and has a sense of hos aid is reshaping.
- Strong analytical skills, and ability to design and direct action plans
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and with a strong leadership
- Strong sense of ownership and able to see through the completion of task assigned
- Demonstrated managerial and practical experience
- Excellent time management skills, ability to organize and prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Sense of diplomacy and negotiation
- Ability to operate effectively in a stressful environment
- Flexible and adaptable
- Ability to improve and institutionalize approved logistics and security processes
- Adapt to changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to ensure logistics and understanding among all teams
- Decision-making skills
- Demonstrate fairness, integrity and impartiality
Detailed Responsibilities & Tasks
Responsibility #1: Programme Delivery
- Support the development of an organisational culture that reflects our full spectrum programming, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for girls/women/refugees/host communities and excellent customer service for our CARE International Members and donors
- Helps design and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with CARE practices and appropriate to program needs
- Help establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: host government authorities, donors, partner agencies including major institutional donors, and local and international NGOs
- Ensure that the required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies
Responsibility #2: Oversight and Management of Program Operations
- In close coordination with the Implementation team and the Program Development Team, participate in program proposal process and ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget
- Working with Program Development team, participate in conceptualizing and designing cost effective, innovative and high quality programs to serve the most vulnerable/marginalized among girls and women in particular.
- Serve as overall budget holder for most programming
- Ensure programs are implemented in ways responsive to the communities, in need in line with CARE International principles, values and strategic plan and following CARE International Lebanon compliance procedures. This includes working with government and national NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity
- Contribute to preparation of timely and high quality progress reports, program reports, and donor reports
- Support and oversee the management of any field presence/office
Responsibility #3: Engagement with Partners to develop effective partnerships
- Assess the current partnerships portfolio identifying strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, to inform strategic decision-making
- Develop CARE International Lebanon Partnership strategies based on CARE’s Programme strategies and consultation with partners and CARE staff
- Facilitate partner involvement in CARE proposals and input directly to ensure partner design and costs are appropriately represented and adequately resourced
- Propose, design and pilot innovative approaches to working in effective partnerships to deliver upon CARE programmes and partnerships strategies
- Support, guide, and oversee a full menu of capacity assessment and building support for partners as identified/requested by partners.
- Provide support to partners’ proposal development from an organisational and operational standpoint
Responsibility #4: Logistics Oversight
- Ensure that the CO logistics capacity and systems meet the CARE International Minimum Operating Standards and are able to satisfy programming requirements
- Manage the CO Logistics Manager, ensuring that all CO logistics activities (assets, transport, supply chain, etc.) are coordinated smoothly with programs
- Ensure Logistics are embedding customer service approach in their approach
- Ensure procurement ways of working between programs and Logs are clearly defined, with ownership of procurement plans defined.
- Support Logistics in ensuring effective planning and purchasing efficiency
- Ensure Logistics is meeting donor standards when it somes to asset management
- Manage the fixed assets
Responsibility #5: Emergency Response Management
- Strengthen the Lebanon CO organisational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with global CI emergency goal and benchmarks
- Mount appropriate and timely responses at scale to all emergencies consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies, and in close cooperation with incoming surge teams
- Ensure that all CO staff across program implementation and logistics departments are familiar with, adhere to and implement the procedures and processes detailed in the CI Rules and Principles for emergency response
Responsibility #6: Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development – Program Implementation
- Ensure appropriate staffing within Program Implementation and Logistics
- Ensure that all staff understand and are able to perform their role
- Manage Program Implementation and Logistics team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Ensure the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff
- Incorporate staff development strategies and Performance Management Systems into team building process. Establish result based system and follow up
- Manage the performance of all staff in the Program Implementation work area through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ workplans
CARE is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, color, religion, and sex.