Teenager Support Program Volunteer
Kindly send your CV to [email protected], with “TSP volunteers” as the subject of the email.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected group.
Blue Mission is a non-political/non-sectarian NGO based in Saida, Lebanon, seeking to promote a culture of peace on every level of society in order for Lebanon to confront and resolve its humanitarian challenges. We work with vulnerable Lebanese, Refugees and Internally displaced groups in Lebanon, targeting aspects of Medical Aid, Mental Health, Education, Capacity Building and Peace Building.
The biggest program in place at this date is the KARAMA project, targeting refugee and host populations living in informal settlements in the South and Mount Lebanon to assess the mental and physical health needs of their residents, with an emphasis on women and their children. This program reaches around 1200 beneficiaries a month in more than 35 shelters, with the help of a Mobile Medical Unit.
This program will soon be complemented by the Teenager Support Program, targeting the underprivileged teenagers of Old Saida from 10 to 18yo, aiming to give them a chance to empower with the help of educational, social and life skills activities.
The participants will receive training and education on the topics of their choice. They will be given a chance to express themselves on different subject of their interest, and increase their responsibility, autonomy, knowledge and skills by deciding on the schedule of the sessions. The program will ensure to create an atmosphere where the teenagers show respect, have the space to voice their opinion and work in a team. Finally, different organisations will be invited to give awareness sessions, increasing their chances to be sensitize to different topics.
The program will be implemented twice a week in the Public Library of Saida (Wed, Thurs- 2pm to 4pm). The planning will be divided between:
- Homework support and academic lessons (Math, Physics, English, computer course ...)
- Social support topics (bullying, gender roles, empowerment...)
- PSS activities
- Debates on various issues, including the recent events
- NGOs giving awareness sessions (Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, Early Mariage...)
The program will be flexible to fit the needs of the adolescents and give them the chance to be in control of what they want to achieve. Small gestures like letting them choose what to learn and writing their own schedule for the week will teach them the importance of having a choice and voicing out their opinion, having to decide together the schedule will teach them teamwork and respect.
Come join our team of volunteers to implement this program ! You will be given a chance to increase the educational level and social skills of Teenagers from Old Saida by teaching them French, helping them do their homework in French, giving sessions on subjects of your interest, implementing different activities and helping the teenagers decide of the activities that fits better their needs.
Accommodation for the volunteers is provided at Blue Mission’s Centre, in the heart of Saida, Seaside town close to Beirut, Lebanon.
Target a population neglected services wise with an approach based on empowerment, aiming at increasing their educational level and social skills.
- Increase the education level of teenagers of Old Saida on different academic subjects, and provide them with homework support.
- Provide them with a safe space to openly express and voice out their opinions and concerns.
- Empower them by providing them with a set of life skills and tools during the social and PSS sessions.
- Sensibilise them to different topics during the awareness sessions.
- Encourage core values such as teamwork, respect and collaboration.
- Increase their responsibility and autonomy by giving them a chance to decide on the content of the program.
- Make referrals if needed.
Job Description :
- Create and run whole group and small group activities with the teenagers on various subjects (depending on the interest of the volunteer).
- Help planning and implementing various activities.
- Provide the teenagers with homework support.
- Organize debates on different topics.
- Help organising awareness sessions with other NGOs.
- Help the teenagers decide on a planning for the sessions that suits better their needs.
- Create an atmosphere of respect, teamwork and empowerment among the group.
- Being available from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays
- Experience in animation or education is an advantage. All applicants, however, are welcome.
- Ability to work in collaboration with the team.
- Adherence to Blue Missions’ values.
- Understanding of the region’s dynamics.
The position is unpaid due to a lack of funding. The volunteering hours are therefore flexible and depend on the availability of the applicant.
At the end of its volunteering time, the volunteers can be provided with a certificate or with a recommendation letter.
Accommodation at the Blue Mission Centre can be provided.
- South Lebanon
- Saida (Sidon)