Interested candidates should apply only through factorial, kindly upload your CVs as pdf format only.
Due to the high number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Position: Co-Executive Director
Employer: Anti-Racism Movement
Reporting to: ARM Advisory Board
Location: ARM office - Beirut
Working Hours: 40 hours per week
Anti-Racism Movement (ARM) is a non-governmental organization working to dismantle systemic racism and achieve social, economic, and gender justice for migrant workers and racialized groups in Lebanon since 2011. Migrant Community Center (MCC) is a safer space for migrants living under Kafala. MCC works with migrant domestic workers to improve their living and working conditions and build their capacities to self-advocate for their rights as agents and leaders of change. Its programs include community-building, capacity-building, psychosocial wellbeing, community-led initiatives, and advocacy.
The two co-directors are responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organization, ensuring alignment to ARM's mission and vision, code of conduct as well as financial and administrative guidelines. This includes leadership of all operational functions within ARM, including advocacy, finance, programs, human resources, MCC oversight, fundraising, communications, and other administrative functions. They are also responsible for ensuring successful program planning and for overseeing implementation, funding and delivery, ensuring ARM’s objectives are always met.
Areas of Contribution & Related Accountabilities
The jobholder’s key responsibilities in this area include:
Leadership, Strategy and Representation
- Work with the Board, Co-Director and other senior management on deepening ARM’s vision and strategic plan to guide the organization and ensure effective implementation of both.
- Act as a professional advisor to the Board on all aspects of the organization’s activities and ensure adequate and timely on-going communication.
- Lead the organisation to maintain, a strong commitment to inclusive and intersectional feminist values. Act as role-model to uphold these values in all of ARM’s operations internally and externally.
- Provide leadership, direction and vision to the organization, staff and programs.
- Provide strategic oversight and support the Head of Programs in the design and implementation of ARM’s programs.
- Create and then build enduring relationships, strategic partnerships and alliances across feminist and other movements. Promote ARM as a supporter to and builder of, a strong migrant-centered anti-racism movement in Lebanon and the region.
- Identify, evaluate and monitor internal and external risks to the organization’s people, finances, goodwill, relationships (with communities and donors), and reputation. Implement and oversee measures to mitigate risks and ensure that adequate systems are in place to this end.
- Develop and maintain good representation for ARM legally, with relevant government entities, donors and key partners, local and international, or delegate accordingly.
- Represent or select strong representation for ARM and MCC at local and international conferences and forums, and to the media.
- Create strategic partnerships with national and international actors, strengthen ARM’s presence in international forums.
- Advise on or review key content to be published and disseminated in ARM’s name.
- Staff Management and Development
- Demonstrate day to day leadership of ARM staff, providing both moral and technical support in line with ARM core values and policies
- In particular, support, develop and guide ARM managers enabling them to effectively define priorities and lead their teams to work towards these.
- Manage or advise the board/hiring manager on the recruitment of new staff and the management of roles and team structures.
- Review staff job descriptions and lead on recruitment of managerial positions.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of all organization teams and programs and monitor their individual and collective progress.
- Ensure the integrity of sound management practices within the organization.
- Ensure that core values, policies and procedures, rules and regulation are accurate, fair, up-to-date and adopted by staff.
- Coordinate choosing adequate members to represent ARM in external conferences, trainings and workshops.
- Lead staff wellbeing through HR, supporting interventions aimed to decrease work stress and mitigate impacts of contextual stressors.
- Assume responsibility for the health, safety and security of the team.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Responsible for overseeing and managing the overall budget of ARM.
- Ensure the integrity of sound financial and management practices within the organization and protect the assets of ARM against fraud and financial abuse.
- Ensure the growth of the organization and its financial viability and sustainability.
- Ensure all financial, accounting and taxation procedures are carried out with maximum accuracy and transparency and that ARM's guidelines are correctly abided by, as well as all legislation and regulations of the Ministry of Finance, taxation laws and others as required.
- Ensure the annual budget is properly presented on time and work closely with the Finance team to ensure all other financial tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner, keeping the annual budgets up to date and accurate.
- Produce and review all financial reports and presentations, provide complete and accurate information to the Board and external stakeholders on financial health of ARM.
- Ensure proper office management and supervise the proper handling and archiving of all financial documents.
- Administer the funds of ARM according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Make sure that finances are run efficiently to ensure maximum resource utilization.
- Approve expenditures within the parameters set forth by management and budgeting.
- Human Resources Planning and Management
- Lead and oversee all HR activities of ARM and line manage/support the HR Coordinator to develop and implement an appropriate HR plan for the organization.
- Determine staffing requirements, managing resource planning in line with strategic goals and activities. Ensure appropriate staff are in place, training/upskilling existing personnel where possible..
- Ensure the high performance of the teams, overseeing staff development, training and regular performance review cycles and manage HR in their role to implement and monitor these programs
- Ensure ARM is a just and inclusive organization, where pluralism and diversity are valued, respected and built upon.
- Support and develop an organization culture that allows for shared leadership by establishing clear mechanisms allowing for input of others and appropriate delegation of authority throughout ARM.
Programming and resource mobilization
- Oversee the day to day execution of all ARM programming.
- Oversee the development of fundraising plans and proactively participate in identifying and pursuing new funding resources to ensure continuity of programming and financial health of the organization.
- Supervise and support Fundraising Manager in all phases of grant management (seeking new grants, writing grant proposals, negotiating contracts, creating and updating all policies related to donors and grants, reporting, ad-hoc donor requests) to ensure continuity of programming and financial sustainability of the organization. Ensure that funding comes from sources that align with ARM’s values and ethical standards, and ensure that ARM does not compromise its core approaches and work values to align with donor constraints. Also ensure that the funding base is diverse and secure, including adequate reserves.
- Ensure healthy and productive work dynamics among the Programs, Fundraising, MEAL, and Accounting teams.
- Supervise and support Head of Programs to ensure the proper development and implementation of all project phases, and that all activities are of good quality and fit well within our mission, vision, strategic plan, and logical framework.
- Participate in the selection of projects, partnerships, services, and other opportunities that present themselves.
- Develop and maintain strong relations and partnerships with donors, public officials, and local and international organizations.
- Maintain contact with key donors, ensure proper accountability and relationship building with all donors.
Organizational Planning, Governance and Operational Oversight
- Oversee the development of operational plans and logical frameworks with teams which incorporate goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization, as designed in the Strategic Plan.
- Create, participate in the creation of, advise on and/or approve internal systems whose purpose is to facilitate and improve ARM’s work.
- Act as guardian of the internal decision-making process, key decision maker in strategic level decisions, key decision-maker in team level decisions for the following teams: fundraising, programs, MEAL, management
- Foster an effective team-work relationship with the Board
- Ensure that the infrastructure, systems and operations of the organization are fit for purpose: draft new policies, review existing ones, and ensure alignment between written policies and practice-in-action, making needed adjustments on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure that the partnerships, alliances, programs and services offered by the
- organisation contribute to the organisation’s mission, ensuring effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of ARM’s programs, that are always centered around and led by feminist principles.
Communications & Work Relationships
- Regular contact with ARM Management
- Regular contact with Advisory Board
- Occasional contact with MCC communities
- Regular contact with local authorities
- Regular contact with key partners
- Occasional contact with donors
- Occasional contact with consultants and key service providers
- Occasional contact with ARM auditors
Framework, Boundaries, and Decision Making Authority
The jobholder has the authority to make informed decisions on possible solutions and take necessary actions with consultation and close coordination with the co-director.
Knowledge, Skills and Key Qualifications
- Full commitment and adherence to ARM's mission and vision and a feminist leadership framework.
- In-depth knowledge and analysis of, and involvement in, labor migration, anti-racism, feminist approaches to community building and organizing, civil society movements, and migrant rights. Plus demonstrated commitment to supporting the collective action of women, migrant workers and racialized groups and people.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in social change oriented work and human rights advocacy in a senior role. Experience in supporting organizations at times of crises, growth and change is a plus.
- Experience of working directly with a diverse and international board and demonstrable understanding of board development and feminist governance.
- Ability to design and plan ahead and inspire/guide others to focus on the big picture.
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically, systemically and analytically, and expertise in complex problem solving, decision making processes and critical thinking.
- Excellent organizational, managerial and time-management skills including knowledge of project cycle management, system design and implementation, financial planning and budgeting and organizational development.
- Proven success inspiring, building and leading strong and effective teams in a manner defined by clear communication, transparency, accountability, trust and respect.
- Bold and creative forward-thinker, innovative and flexible, comfortable with uncertainty and extremely harsh working conditions.
- Ability to travel internationally (approx. 6 times a year) and represent ARM externally at high level meetings.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent professional and lived experience, ideally in the field of women’s rights, international human rights, social sciences and/or organizational management.
- Strong proficiency in both English and Arabic
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills, alongside relationship building skills, listening skills, the ability to demonstrate diplomatic finesse and agility across cultures, including negotiation skills.
- Security management in complex security situations, cultural and conflict sensitivity approach, context and risk analysis.
- Experience in supporting organizations at times of crises, growth and change
- Knowledge of donor landscape in the region, priorities and requirements and experience working with international donors and organizational consultants.
- French language skills
Schedule and Salary
- Schedule: 40 hours/week.
- Salary: Competitive, >3,000/ month, based on experience and fit.
- Closing date: March 15, 2023.
- Expected starting date: Asap.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a writing test as part of the hiring process.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.