Peacebuilding & Conflict Management Desk Manager
Applicants must fill and submit the application form using the below link, before March 7,2023 only submitted application forms will be accepted all others would not be processed.
Background of the Desk
ALEF – act for human rights is a Lebanese non-profit, non-partisan human rights watchdog organization that works on documenting, and promoting human rights violations and values in Lebanon. ALEF seeks to strengthen the respect and fulfillment of human rights as a cornerstone of social, economic, and political development. By embracing a comprehensive approach to monitor, defend, and educate on human rights, ALEF aims to complement and gear all efforts towards the achievement of an influential human rights constituency, and the realization of a durable peace.
ALEF’s advocacy and policy work is divided into different thematic desks that each focus on a specific human right area of focus: Peacebuilding & Conflict Management; Criminal Justice Reform & Rule of Law; Refugee Protection & Migration; Transitional Justice; and Freedom of Expression, Assembly & Association. The Peacebuilding & Conflict Management Desk focuses on freedom of thought, conscience, and religion; conflict management; and social cohesion.
Scope of Work
The Desk Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Draft and support the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator in drafting advocacy briefs, press releases statements, position papers, and reports addressing peacebuilding & conflict management issues.
- Produce news bulletin to prepare for conferences and talking points to prepare for advocacy meetings.
- Establish long-term advocacy coordination and implementation through advocacy venues.
- Develop collaboration and coordination with various stakeholders where advocacy initiatives overlap.
- Identify relevant advocacy opportunities that ALEF could act on and coordinate with the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator on methods to do so.
- Represent ALEF at various events (meetings, seminars, webinars, and conferences, etc.) organized by donors, international organizations, local organizations, and networks and working groups.
- Develop effective partnerships with a wide range of partners, including donors, establishing a positive and mutually supportive professional working relationship.
- Lead on tracking and identifying relevant funding opportunity and coordinate with the Fundraising Consultant accordingly.
- Produce talking points to prepare for coordination meetings and follow up with minutes of meetings.
- Keep up with news and updates, especially developments on peacebuilding & conflict management (reports, publications, legal updates, meetings, etc.)
- Update the Desk’s context analysis and risks assessment and identify potential mitigation measures.
- Lead on ad-hoc research outputs related to peacebuilding & conflict management.
- Oversee the monitoring of violations and progresses related to peacebuilding & conflict managements.
- Brief the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator on context updates in the lead-up to high-level meetings.
- Project Management
- Responsible for the execution of projects under the Desk against the agreed objectives and within the agreed budgets.
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management in line with project proposals.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial, and logistical systems/procedures are maintained and adhered to.
- Responsible for project reporting in line with the relevant donor contracts and compliance requirements.
- Lead, with the Desk Officers, on the preparation and timely submission of narrative reports as well as M&E reports to donors and the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator.
- Ensure monitoring systems are in place and that project reviews/audits are carried out periodically.
- Track progress of projects under the Desk.
- In collaboration with the Desk team, ensure an M&E framework (M&E plan, M&E tools, analysis) is in place and properly implemented for every project.
- Ensure all project documentation is available.
- Periodically update projects’ logical frameworks and workplans.
- Design and implement work plans for all the projects under the Desk in cooperation with the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator and donor requirements.
- Optimise, in conjunction with the Desk team, the use of human, logistical and financial potential.
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team, identify, draw up plans, proposals, and budgets for new projects/extensions of projects.
- Report to the Advocacy & Policy Coordinator on meetings with the donors and external partners.
- Oversee the communication strategies of the projects under the Desk (social media, visibility, etc.) and ensure they are aligned with ALEF’s yearly communication plan.
- Team Management
- Provide line management leadership to the Desk team, ensuring they are all supported and guided to manage their tasks under the Desk.
- Degree in International Affairs, Political Science, Public Relations, Human Rights, Human Development, or any related field.
- 3 – 4 years of experience in the advocacy sector.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
- Good knowledge of human rights’ mechanisms, platforms, and dynamics.
- Good knowledge of local laws and regulations.
- Managerial skills (organizational, reporting, budgeting, and proposal writing).
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Strong diplomatic, mediation, and communication skills.
- Capacity to work independently, lead on tasks, and suggest solutions.
- Able to work fast and deliver under pressure in a volatile context.
- Mount Lebanon
- Hazmiyeh (Baabda)