Head of Support Services-HoSS
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15th of September 2023
Interested? Apply here!
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC has been responding to various humanitarian crises in Lebanon since 2004, working with Palestinian, Iraqi and Syrian refugees. DRC received registration from the Ministry of Interior in 2011, and since then has focused primarily on responding to the Syrian refugee crisis in Lebanon and the resulting impact on Lebanese host community. DRC Lebanon’s focus is to ensure that we are able to respond to critical emerging humanitarian needs whilst improve the living conditions of displacement-affected populations and contribute to the achievement of durable solutions. With an annual portfolio of $12million, and with approximately 200+ staff, DRC is focusing its response in protection and economic recovery (Ec-Rec) sector in Bekka, North Lebanon and Beirut. DRC is also contributing to the evidence base and coordination structures in country through our Evidence Generation and referral information management (RIMs) teams
Overall purpose of the role:
The Head of Support Services (HoSS) is operationally and strategically responsible for Finance, Human Resources, Logistics and Procurement, Administration and/or IT. S/he oversees, develops and provides strategic direction to his/her support areas. This role has a country focus (Lebanon) and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
With senior level management experience, you are expected to have demonstrable successful track record of organizational development and resource mobilization and play a leadership role in developing and implementing country-specific strategies as well as improving operational systems, processes, and policies in support of DRC’s mission and values.
- Lead and manage the support managers (including people planning, performance, well-being and development) whilst providing dotted technical line support to wider country support team.
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the operation though frequent in-service training sessions, mentoring support and frequent visits to field offices.
- Role model and lead the wider country programme against DRC values, diversity and inclusion as well as code of conduct.
Support Services Management
- Responsible for the strategic development, management and implementation of the support operations as per DRC operational handbook. This includes developing and improving operational approaches, compliance and systems, and support the Country Director to build and deliver effective and sustainable interventions.
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Ensure appropriate technical support is available to programs, in line with organizational priorities
- Provide strategic guidance to the HR/Admin department to develop and implement DRCs HR policy in Lebanon. This includes providing strategic guidance for all staff management, career & development recruitment and induction process as well as appropriate stress management and care for Expatriates and National Staff.
- Lead on DRC Lebanon annual master budgets and ensuring that monthly monitoring of expenditure informs management decision making.
- Lead on the effective implementation and adherence of organization and stakeholder financial regulations.
- Overseeing the operationalization of the contextual/localized finance handbook.
- Ensure the implementation of sustainable and robust supply chain and financial system for an efficient and effective support to all DRC programs and support services.
- Ensure an efficient ICT Operating environment is in place to meet operational needs.
- Responsible for maintaining and improving operational resource management in the mission, together with SMT, identifying both short term and long-term resource needs and translate these into objectives and priorities for future DRC projects in Lebanon
- Responsible for leading the development and improvement of resource management component of the annual results contract between DRC HQ and the country office in Lebanon. Ensuring timely quarterly reporting against results and follow- up action.
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and HR systems
- Ensure that Lebanon operation complies to DRC Risk Management Framework, and operational Compliance Tools and processes are duly implemented. This includes development of a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Regular review and improvements to Country SOPs to ensure the internal control environment strengthened as well as develop policies as required where gaps are noted.
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards within support area. This also includes ensuring the timely implementation of DRC’s internal audit and external audit recommendations and contextualize HQ understanding of local challenges.
- Participate as a member of the SMT in drafting project proposals, and on the use of resources according to budgets and policies.
- Together with the Head of Programs, lead the mainstreaming of Project Cycle Management and partnership best practices throughout the organization.
- Participate as a member of the SMT in the development of the mission, the Country Policies, and the Annual Plan in accordance with the DRC relevant Global Policies and guidelines.
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives
- As and when required, substitute the Country Director when is requested as such (leaves, field visits, long meetings etc)
DRC Dynamics ERP System
- Ensure ERP functionality is properly used by relevant staff
- Apply reports and data analytics from DRC Dynamics to improve overall performance
- Act as heavy user for most of the Projects & Finance functionalities
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in a similar role in an international NGO.
- 4 years’ experience in people management with proven leadership skills.
- Proven operational management experiences and capability, including in complex settings
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience as well as in procurement and tender processes
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and problem-solving capacities; with the ability to work flexibly in a diverse team in a dynamic environment, fostering a positive working environment
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, and presentation skills with the ability to collaborate, network and negotiate in order to facilitate communication and support to staff, local partners, Governments, UN, donors & other NGOs without losing sight of the strategic objective
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple competing deliverables on varying timelines
- Experience working in an ERP system, including Supply Chain, Finance and HR systems
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- A Master’s Degree or advanced professional qualification in Finance, Business Administration, Logistics or HR
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Arabic preferred
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: two years
- Band/Level: E-Management
- Duty Station: Beirut Lebanon
- Start date: 15th November 2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact [email protected]