Regional Communications Specialist
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; DRC reserves the right of conducting tests and interviews before the closing date and can close the advertisement earlier in case of finding a suitable candidate.
Closing date for applications: September 1st, 2023.
Interested? Apply here!
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the role
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for leading on and supporting the design and delivery of external and internal communications products for the DRC Middle East region and supporting country offices in the region in their communications working. This will include the development of a range of products to reach identified targets including (but not limited to) the donor community, public in donor countries, public in the region, decision-makers in the region and globally, and staff across the organization.
The Specialist will be involved either in directly producing or commissioning a range of communication products including blog posts, web articles, photo stories, social media videos and posts, factsheets, and other physical documents.
Under the supervision of the Regional Advocacy and Communications Manager, they will also be responsible for supporting the delivery of the regional advocacy strategy, including through communications products (e.g. photo exhibitions) and fundraising for communications initiatives..
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic communications and development of communications products
- Collect case study stories, photos, and videos from DRC programmes across the Middle East region as part of regional communications initiatives and to support country programmes where necessary, including through regular visits to DRC operations. Ensure that approaches to informed consent and ‘do no harm’ approaches to communications are followed.
- Ensure that communications and social media strategies at the regional level are developed, reviewed, updated, and monitored as necessary, and align with relevant global and regional strategies.
- Design factsheets and regional programme profiles in support of advocacy, business development, and external representation engagements
- Work with the Regional MEAL Coordinator to understand the information from DRC programmes across the Middle East that is relevant for communications products.
- Commission consultants where necessary to provide technical expertise or additional capacity on regional communications initiatives and manage the consultancy contracts.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of in-house creative multimedia content and campaigns in various multimedia formats.
- Adapt content to be shared across multiple different styles of external communication e.g. long-form blog posts and short-form social media channels
- Develop Terms of Reference for regional communications initiatives and ensure feedback and agreement from country offices, including ensuring relevant risk management measures are included.
- Lead and otherwise contribute to the development of communications standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Monitor how communications products are engaged with and utilize feedback to adapt future communications initiatives.
- In coordination with the Regional Advocacy and Communications Manager, manage DRC Middle East social media accounts, including through developing a content plan and engaging with country programmes to include their content on social media channels.
- Update DRC intranet with content from DRC Middle East
- Ensure that visibility requirements linked to regional products are met; where regional projects involve working with partner organisatins, ensure that partners are equitably included in design and delivery of communications strategies and work; and are promoted equally alongside DRC.
- Ensure that DRC brand guidelines are followed across all DRC Middle East communications, including ensuring all country programmes are familiar with and following brand guidelines.
- Support the Regional Advocacy and Communications Manager in responding to media requests.
- Act at the lead point of contact for HQ communications staff to contribute content for the Middle East into global communications products.
Support to country programmes
- Regularly engage with communications leads in DRC country programmes across the Middle East region to provide ad-hoc support, support in the development of communications strategies, and identify training needs.
- Support country programmes in providing communications capacity strengthening to national and local organisations and ensuring that communications strategies are co-designed equitably with partner organisations.
- Ensure that country programmes are effectively utilizing funds for visibility contained with programme grants, ensuring they are put to strategic use in support of communications objectives.
- Provide additional technical support to country offices (for example graphic design support), and map skills and expertise of country communications leads to make best use of capacities across the region.
- Ensure that all DRC sign-off procedures are followed.
- Where necessary and requested, provide additional support to country offices during significant communications moments e.g. the organization of public events
Experience and technical competencies:
To be successful in this role we expect you to have :
- At least 3 years' experience working in communications and/or advocacy.
- Relevant experience of delivering a range of communications products, including physical and online content. Desirable experience working in the aid sector.
- Experience in generating content and story telling with an understanding of the protection risks and ‘do no harm’ approaches.
- Excellent oral, written and copyediting skills and demonstrated ability to write and develop strong communication and advocacy materials
- Experience in photography and handing a professional camera and accessories.
- Experience in using design software and audio-visual recording equipment
- Video editing skills would be desirable
- Full professional proficiency in Arabic and English
English and Arabic are essential.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
Master's degree in communication, journalism, advocacy or similar; or relevant communications experience
- Contract length: (12) Months
- Position Band: This position will be placed in the Nonmanagement (G1) band.
- Start date: September 2023
- Duty station: this position can either be in Amman, Jordan / Beirut, Lebanon / Erbil, Iraq
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact [email protected]