Human Rights Violations Documentation Officer
All individuals interested in being part of this programming and who fit the criteria listed below should apply by sending an email to [email protected] under the subject “Human Rights Violations Documentation Officer”.
Women, trans*, and gender non-conforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit your application before December 30, 2022
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
The HRVD Officer will be responsible for engaging with community members to understand and document abuses in a large swathe of indicators. They will be a primary focal point for applicants visiting Helem seeking access to justice against violations utilizing both legal and paralegal means. The HRVD Officer will be be part of a team responsible for building partnerships and connections with multiple human rights, humanitarian, and development actors to increase detection systems both online and offline, as well as disseminate best practices with other activist communities throughout the MENA region. Their tasks also include producing and promoting regular human rights violations reports including Helem’s annual LGBTIQ+ Rights Violations Report and conduct comparative analysis for multiple partners in Lebanon and internationally.
Following Helem’s guidelines and protocols, the HRVD Officer will assist their department in managing cases and implementing projects and programs that serve the needs of the LGBTIQ+ community. We are looking for team players with a lot of energy, dedication, initiative, and meticulous attention to detail
- Manage Helem’s HRVD activities including documenting all cases and incidents that Helem receives through multiple channels using Helem’s HRVD system.
- Actively build mechanisms for easier and more accurate reporting of violations from multiple stakeholders including streamlining processes, building relationships and partnerships with organizations, and increasing documentation coverage through community and programming interventions.
- Working with the protection department to defend and protect cases seeking access to justice from multiple violations by participating in legal proceedings, paralegal engagement and campaigning, and strategizing for defending applicants.
- Expanding and managing Helem’s digital HRVD system, expanding and fine-tuning its existing roster of violations indicators, and ensuring optimal population of data to the highest standards of safety, privacy, professionalism, and accuracy.
- Managing Helem’s HRVD system dissemination program by actively promoting and training other activists around the MENA region on the system’s utilization and the documentation production process.
- Manage all of Helem’s reporting that uses HRVD data including annual violations reports, special data reporting for international and local UN agencies, and assisting in data gathering for special study projects.
- Provide expert analysis and reporting on violations documented in multiple human rights and humanitarian forums and taking part in regular deliberations.
- Maintain the highest standards of respect, confidentiality, and professionalism when engaging and working with community members following Helem’s AAP manual and other policies and procedures.
- Participate and support other department and organization wide programs and initiatives when and if needed.
- Carry out general administrative, reporting and other general duties.
Education and work experience:
- A JD in law and/or Master’s degree and/or more than 3 years of experience in the fields of social work, gender studies, human rights law.
- Knowledge of LGBTIQ+ issues in Lebanon and the MENA region with emphasis on connections to the legal framework.
- Prior work experience working with LGBTIQ+ and other marginalized communities in an advocacy, legal, or service provision setting.
- Prior experience working on emergency intervention or crisis response strongly preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in both English and Arabic (French preferred).
- Meticulous attention to detail and prior experience working with data harvesting, input, and analysis strongly preferred.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to produce reports, memos, and infographics on a large segment of diverse data.
- Strong management and organization skills and the ability to meet deadlines and adjust for contingencies.
- High levels of initiative to build and expand their department and increase HRV detection and data harvesting levels.
- Strong computer literacy requires in MS Office.