National Expert in Road Safety Design and Works Supervision
Polish Center for International Aid (PCPM) is a Polish international non-governmental organization implementing shelter, health care and educational projects in Lebanon since 2012. The mission of the PCPM Foundation is to provide humanitarian, development and rescue assistance to those in need throughout the world, while maintaining the basic principles of humanitarianism, impartiality, neutrality and independence.
How to apply
Polish Center for International AID (PCPM) is seeking a National Expert in Road Safety Design and Works Supervision
Location of the Assignment: Akkar, Dreib Area (3 Unions of Municipalities – UoMs).
Local governments implement road safety interventions, in line with community needs and longer-term scenarios.
MASAR for Local Governments is a programme funded by the EU MADAD Trust Fund. The overall aim of the programme is to strengthen the long-term resilience of targeted subnational governments and their host, refugee and IDP populations to deal with displacement.
Background specific to the assignment:
Theassignment follows consultations with pilot project relevant local government representatives and stakeholders (including representatives of the local community) on Road Safety Study engineering/road section recommendations towards proposal of feasible improvements such as road signs and markings, crosswalks, cat eyes, curb reparations, and crossroads redesigns. The study covers four road stretches:
- Halba-Kobayat primary road,
- Notre Dame De la Paix Hospital road in Kobayat,
- Andket-Kobayat primary road, and
- Andket-Aydamoun secondary road.
The study identifies over 20 blackspots and prioritizes 14 for immediate intervention proposing feasible solutions such as road signs, traffic lights, raised crosswalks, speed humps, curb reparations, or – in two cases – roundabouts. A preliminary selection of countermeasures for implementation has been made by local governments and PCPM.
Aim of this assignment
The aim of the assignment is to prepare the ground for implementation road safety improvements indicated in the Road Safety Study for the Dreib and ensure that their implementation is in line with the law, designs, safetystandards and project timeline.
The Expert in Road Safety Design and Works Supervision will:
- Review the preliminary selection of countermeasures for implementation and recommend changes if needed;
- Prepare detailed designs for countermeasures selected for implementation in compliance with the relevant national and international legal and safety standards, which will include three sets of medium term countermeasure for crossroads redesign for blackspots #2, #7, or #9 described in the attached Road Safety Report;
- Assist PCPM/local governments in any pilot project additional work;;
- Assist in obtaining the necessary permits for implementation of the designs;
- Assist in procurement through preparation of a bill of quantities and recommendation of selection criteria;
- Supervise implementation works in line with the relevant national and international legal and safety standards as well as the detailed designs;
- Be available to local governments in the area of implementation and PCPM for consultation related to the assignment throughout the period of the assignment.
As a part of his/her responsibilities, the Expert will:
Selection of spots and improvements for implementation
- Review the preliminary selection of countermeasures for installation on against technical, financial and land ownership aspects, and recommend changes if needed,
- If the selection is revised, take part in consultations with local governments to validate the new selection.
- Conduct all necessary measurements to prepare detailed designs for the prioritized black spots;
- For medium-term (3-6 months) countermeasures for blackspots for #2, #7, or #9 selected for implementation (at least one will be included in the selection), conduct a cadastral surveys or any other research needed to prepare designs allowing for implementation of works;
- Based on the above, prepare detailed designs for the prioritized blackspots; the designs should provide sufficient directions for implementation in accordance to the relevant technical, legal and safety standards;
- Take part in a stakeholder meeting to validate designs.
Support in obtaining permits
- Indicate and assist in all permits necessary to install the selected road safety countermeasures, explain the procedure to municipal representatives and assist them in the preparation of the necessary documentation.
Assistance in procurement for works
- Prepare a bill of quantities (BoQ) for materials, items and works
- In his/her work on the BoQ, the Expert will take into account the requirement of sustainability of improvements for implementation, including in particular: easy and affordable operation and maintenance, good availability of products and minimized negative impact on landscape and the environment,
- In the BoQ, set quality and safety standards as well as warranty requirements for materials, items and works which are to be procured,
- Recommend contractor’s selection criteria specifying requirements related to experience, qualifications, as well as technical and financial capacity;
- Introduce the contractor performing works to his/her assignment,
- Supervise works ensuring their compliance with the relevant legal and safety standards, designs and project timeline,
- Include municipal representatives or staff in the supervision activities.
- Coordinate closely with PCPM MASAR team in Lebanon, including the Front Officers, Project Manager, Thematic Coordinator and Outreach Officer,
- Be available to the municipal representatives and staff in the area of implementation for consultancy regarding his/her assignment throughout the assignment period. However, all cooperation with local governments shall be previously discussed and coordinated with PCPM.
Reporting & recommendations:
- All key recommendations, designs and procurement documents shall be delivered in writing.
- The Expert will provide PCPM Front Officers with report notes on his/her consultancy on construction permits and on supervision of works.
Selection of spots and improvements for implementation:
- Review of the preliminary selection of countermeasures for implementation proposed in the Road Safety Study against technical, financial and land ownership aspects,
- Participation in a validation stakeholders’ meeting if changes in the preliminary selection are made.
- Preparation of designs for the prioritized blackspots,
- Participation in a stakeholders’ meeting to validate the designs.
Support in obtaining permits:
- Identification of relevant permits;
- Assistance to local governments in the preparation of the necessary documentation (covering consultancy as well as review and correction of draft versions).
Assistance in procurement for works:
- Preparation of a bill of quantities (BoQ) for materials, items and works necessary for installation of the selected countermeasures in coordination with PCPM procurement team;
- Recommendation of contractor’s selection criteria in coordination with PCPM procurement team.
- Introducing the contractor performing works to his/her assignment,
- Supervision of works in coordination with PCPM as well as the local governments in the area of implementation.
Reporting & recommendations:
- Review of the preliminary selection of spots and countermeasures for implementation;
- Bill of quantities and contractor’s selection criteria;
- Designs and reports listed in Reporting requirements.
Outputs / Deliverables
- Assistance in and validation of selection of solutions for implementation
- Detailed designs
- Support in obtaining permits
- Assistance in procurement for works: preparation of BoQ and recommendation of contractor’s selection criteria
- Works supervision
- Reports listed in Reporting requirements
- Feedback note on the preliminary selection of spots and countermeasures for implementation (based on PCPM template),
- Detailed designs of improvements selected for installation,
- Note on consultancy regarding permits (based on PCPM template),
- Bill of quantities,
- Contractor’s selection criteria
- Report from supervision works, including incidents report (based on PCPM template).
Period of the assignment
80 days from the signature of the contract, whereby PCPM recommends with the following timeframe that:
- activities related to preparation of the relevant documentation (review of the selection of solutions for implementation, detailed technical designs, assistance in application for permits and procurement for works, including reporting) will take no more than 30 days;
- activities related to obtaining permits and works supervision of works will take not more than 50 days from the start of works until their full implementation.
The assignment will end once the works have been completed. The Expert shall make every effort to ensure that the works are completed before 30th August 2021.
How to apply
When submitting their tenders, tenderers must follow all instructions, forms, terms of reference, contract provisions and specifications contained in this tender dossier. Failure to submit a tender containing all the required information and documentation within the deadline specified may lead to the rejection of the tender.
To receive a copy of the Road Safety study please contact PCPM team members listed in Relevant Contact Details
Relevant contact details
Front Officer, Dominika Michalak: [email protected]
Thematic Coordinator, Pascale Beiany: [email protected]
Project Manager, Joanna Byszewska-Zapletal: [email protected]
The period for submitting the offers is extended from 30.03.2021 to 1.04.2021.منتهية الصلاحية