National Community Mobilizer on Solid Waste Management - MASAR-LB-VNGI-001-LE/2020
The available waste quantities in the Union of Municipalities of Deir el Ahmar and the Municipality of Arsal needs to be reduced, and subnational governments should manage waste collection and treatment in a more effective and sustainable way.
For the Union of Deir el Ahmar, the United Nations Development Program is funding a sanitary landfill alongside a waste treatment plant that will be used for post-sorting and recycling while the Lebanese Organization for Studies and Trainings will provide a communication campaign for the main village of Deir el Ahmar.
VNG International intends to cover the communication part by raising awareness of the importance of sorting-from-the-source for all villages of the Union included for the treatment plant and sanitary landfill by providing sets of different bins; door-to-door campaigns; school interventions; clean-up activities and advertisement. In addition, VNG International will also support the Union’s capacities to ensure monitoring of operations; liaise with buyers of waste; and optimise of collection schedule.
For Arsal, VNG International will support the implementation of a pilot project in an area of 10,000 citizens and refugees. The responsibilities of VNG International will be same with the difference that the International Orthodox Christian Charities organisation will provide a waste treatment facility and equipment. No sanitary landfill is foreseen for the moment.
These interventions are expected to provide both Areas of Intervention with a sustainable SWM service by focusing on communication, reduction, collection, and management; and by being coordinated with other implemented projects by other international agencies.
It is to be noted that the union and the municipality will take over the project and will become the sole owner after implementation thus handle continuing proper services. Therefore, ensuring sustainability is essential for this part.
The aim of this assignment is to provide SWM awareness to the population of Arsal and Deir el Ahmar by teaching them proper ways of sorting-from-the-source in addition to the importance of recycling and value of waste through:
- Organizing local public meetings and workshops
- Training of trainers
- Coordinating a door-to-door campaign
- Conducting workshops and extra-curricular activities in schools
Key responsibilities of the Expert will include:
- Provide outreach and trainings through a tailored programme and presentation in coordination with the SWM thematic coordinator
- Coordinate trainings together with local governments
- Coordinate door-to-door awareness campaigns by supervising volunteers during their work
- Help schools in implementing extra-curricular environmental activities related to waste sorting and recycling
The main activities of the Expert are:
- Provide trainings, workshops, and public meetings in both areas of interventions
- Supervise volunteers’ work in door-to-door campaigns
- Assist schools with ideas for extra-curricular activities
The Expert will provide VNG International with the following outputs/deliverables:
- Training plan tailored for VNGI Intervention and communication material
- Microsoft PowerPoint presentation tailored for areas of intervention whereby a detailed explanation of the proper ways of recycling and its benefits are mentioned – These presentations are to be shared with local governments and civil society
- Mission reports
- Follow-up recommendations
The minimum qualifications and skills for this assignment:
- Academic Qualifications: minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as environmental management, waste management, social sciences, or relevant fields
- A minimum of 2 years of working experience in an international environment in solid waste management projects including awareness campaigns
- Proficiency in English and Arabic is a requirement,
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Cultural sensitivity and multicultural skills (religion, ethnicity, gender)
How to apply
Interested, qualified and available candidates during the months of October 2020 - December 2021 are invited to send their CVs to Ms. Rima Kreidieh (Procurement Officer) before October 8, 2020 at the following email address: [email protected]منتهية الصلاحية