Solid Waste Management (SWM) Specialist
This position offers an excellent opportunity for professional and career development within a reputable small business poised for significant growth. Compensation is commensurate with background and experience. To apply, please send a cover letter and an up-to-date resume/CV in English through the “Our Jobs” section of the ECODIT website (www.ecodit.com) by no later than August 10, 2020. ECODIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only select candidates will be contacted; no phone calls or emails please.
ECODIT will soon begin implementation of the USAID Lebanon Diverting Waste by Encouraging Reuse and Recycling (DWERR) Activity (the Project), a five-year project that will establish sustainable and replicable integrated solid waste diversion and valorization solutions in different rural areas in Lebanon, leading to improved social and economic well-being for Lebanon’s population. Working concomitantly with municipalities, local communities and the private sector, the Project will (1) develop sustainable composting value chains for organic waste, and strengthen existing recycling value chains (RVCs) for inert recyclable materials in select municipalities serving as pilots initially, and then support replication by other municipalities across Lebanon building on lessons learned from the pilots; and (2) implement integrated Solid Waste Management (SWM) solutions for unions or clusters of municipalities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall management of the Chief of Party (COP), the SWM Specialist will:
- Provide technical assistance and expertise in SWM for all project activities;
- Oversee all technical SWM and recycling aspects of the project, including technical feasibility, technology choices, site selection, conceptual designs, and sustainability;
- Liaise and collaborate with ECODIT’s partners and the wide range of stakeholders for the project; and
- Advise social entrepreneurs and social enterprises receiving grants under the project, working collaboratively with ECODIT’s innovation partner.
The SWM Specialist will be based in Beirut, Lebanon, and will be expected to travel regularly and frequently to other locations throughout Lebanon to execute the above duties and responsibilities.
Starting Date: September 1, 2020.
- Master’s degree in environmental management, environmental sciences or engineering, environmental health, or equivalent. A Bachelor’s degree with three years of additional relevant work experience can be substituted for a Master’s degree;
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in SWM, including one or more of the following: conducting SWM assessments and project evaluations, developing SWM and recycling strategies and action plans, managing SWM and recycling operations, and designing and supervising the construction of SWM facilities;
- Experience in SWM in Lebanon is strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated strong organizational and teamwork skills; and
- Demonstrated professional oral and writing skills in English and Arabic.