Applicants should send their Curriculum Vitae/resume to [email protected]
The social protection landscape in Lebanon is a mosaic of scattered schemes ranging from social insurance programmes for public servants, military, and private sector workers, to syndicate pension plans, and social assistance programmes. The country lacks a coherent national social protection system, which have led so far to fragmentation and duplication of assistance while coverage and provision of protection to the poorest and most vulnerable remain inadequate.
Prior the COVID- 19 outbreak, the main social protection assistance programme in the country is the national social assistance programme (NPTP) - providing e-food vouchers to households falling under the extreme poverty line, covering approximately 43,000 households (about 18% of the estimated poor Lebanese). On the other hand, the national social security fund (NSSF) plays a major provider of social insurance covering only 52% of the Lebanese society leaving 48% without any type of coverage.
The outbreak of the virus has put the country at a greater disadvantage, as it socio-economic shocks has further exposed those vulnerabilities and put more pressure on livelihoods, and economic security of thousands of citizens in Lebanon.
The government of Lebanon acted decisively, like many other countries in the region to curb the spread of the virus and announced an emergency social assistance plan to target the most vulnerable categories affected by the containment measures taken by the government. The main social protection response is the National Social Solidarity Project (NSSP) that will provide temporary cash assistance to vulnerable families in need and informal workers affected by the crisis.
Description of Duties
The incumbent will be accountable for the following duties – under the direct supervision of MoSA:
1. Promote and coordinate the common agenda of MoSA and the NSSP including the provision of strategy, planning and follow-up support for response plans and integrated Frameworks, and for the coordination of associated working groups and task forces.
2. Ensure the effective organization of MoSA/NSSP events, such as coordination meetings with relevant ministries, retreats, donor briefings, media events and calendar markings, including the timely preparation of agendas and the provision of logistical assistance as required.
3. Foster and sustain the development of partnerships between Ministries, government institutions (Municipalities, etc…), local and international organizations, and donors, and assist in identifying priority areas and opportunities for interventions in the country.
4. Encourage positive relationships with the private sector and civil society groups.
5. Interact closely with other sections of the MoSA and programmes in the production of briefings, background notes, talking points, media statements and speeches for use by senior management.
6. Support the work of the MoSA/NSSP, including information management.
7. Support the MoSA/NSSP in development and implementation of work plans.
Advanced university degree in economics, public law, public administration, social sciences, development studies or a related field.
At least four years of progressively responsible experience in the field of social protection, public sector management, project management or communications.
Demonstrated experience in engaging, coordinating and managing public sector programmes/projects, specifically multi-stakeholders initiatives with government entities and non-state organizations is highly desirable.
Experience working with the Government at the national level including in-depth understanding of development and political context is an asset.
Proven experience in performing advisory, analytical and communications functions.
Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English is required.
This position requires the following:
• Good communication skills
• Good decision-making skills, to be able to act independently when needed.
• Good project management, coordination and organizational skills
• Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
• Good knowledge of the social sector and previous work experience with MOSA is a plus.