Finance and Administrative (CVs must be submitted to the website:https://jobs.ilo.org// and not to the email)
Job Title: Finance and Administrative Officer
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC2018/19
Publication date: 17 October 2018
Application deadline (midnight local time): 9 November 2018
Job ID: 737
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut Location: Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: One year
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director- General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment and eligibility criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is LBP 96,699,000 yearly.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) is devoted to promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights, pursuing its founding mission that social justice is essential to universal and lasting peace. The only tripartite U.N. agency, the ILO brings together governments, employers and workers representatives of 187 member States, to set labour standards, develop policies and devise programmes promoting decent work for all women and men. Today, the ILO Decent Work agenda helps advance the economic and working conditions that give all workers, employers and governments a stake in lasting peace, prosperity and progress.
The ILO portfolio has grown exponentially in the Arab Region over the last two years. There is a need for additional Administrative and Financial support in the Regional Office (a) to ensure that ILO rules and Regulations are applied systematically across and within projects, with a special focus for prompt processing of requests from projects. And at the same ensure (b) that workflows and processes are implemented in a timely manner in order to make sure a smooth implementation of activities. The Incumbent will be providing these services to all projects currently being implemented in the region by ensuring compliance, coordinating and facilitating the smooth implementation of development cooperation activities.
The Finance and Administrative Officer will report to of C/RAS and will work in close collaboration with Admin, Finance, HR and Development Cooperation colleagues.
The incumbent will perform the following functions:
- Oversee overall support to DC projects on Finance, Admin and Procurement issues;
- Ensure in collaboration with other staff that DC requests are accorded a high priority to respond efficiently and accurately to their requests by establishing mechanisms;
- Propose process improvements to cater to the high delivery demands while maintaining the required compliance and agility;
- Follow up on financial and procurement issues related to DC projects and propose solutions to resolve them in shortest possible time;
- Act as focal point on all procurement issues for DC projects and provide necessary advice and guidance on complex and large procurements;
- Work closely with C/RAS to provide support on important deadlines and requirements from Headquarters;
- Monitor delivery of DC projects and produce regular reports on DC delivery and targets and budgets.
- Participate in DC budget formulation while ensuring all operations costs are accurately built:
- Perform necessary oversight functions to monitor DC contracts and payments and provide necessary advice to Project CTAs as necessary;
- Liaise with internal and external auditors on DC project issues and queries;
- Provide necessary support on one UN and BOS initiatives related to DC;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Required qualifications Education
Advanced university degree in Finance, business administration or accounting
4 to 5 years of professional experience in the relevant occupational area. 2 to 3 years work in an international organization is desirable
Excellent command of English and Arabic is required
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Good knowledge of the financial, administrative and personnel rules, regulations, practices and procedures or of those of an international agency.
- Good knowledge of national/local laws and regulations as pertinent to the areas of responsibility.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to clarify information.
- Good computer applications skills.
- Proven ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
- Must display a high standard of ethical conduct and exhibit honesty and integrity.
- Ability to supervise staff
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.