Deadline for applications:Sunday, November 11, 2012
Full time position
Location: Haret Hreik (Southern Suburbs of Beirut)
Amel is expanding its program to support refugees in the southern suburbs of Beirut with funding from UNHCR. As such, Amel is recruiting a social worker to support educational and psychosocial activities for children.
Tasks and duties
Coordinate educational and psychosocial activities for children:
- Assess the needs and priorities of the targeted beneficiaries and define suitable activities based on a community-based participatory approach;
- Select and recruit the required trainers for psycho-social activities;
- Follow-up attendance to the sessions, report absences and propose appropriate measures when needed;
- Follow and implement work plan activities related to psychosocial needs of refugees
- Arrange social counseling for one-on-one cases with children and/or parents and home visits.
- Develop and conduct group counselling sessions
- Create, develop and maintain an appropriate network of institutions, NGOs and relevant partners in the concerned field of activity;
- Organize referrals and follow-up cases for individuals that need specialized care.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Create and maintain a file for each participant/beneficiary
- Organize a monthly meeting with teachers and trainers
- Update knowledge management system/database (RAIS) after every activity conducted
- Conduct field visits to gain better understanding of beneficiary population,
- Conduct participatory assessments (as needed)
- Support the Educational Coordinator in identifying children who need additional educational or psychosocial support. Provide them with the appropriate activities or referral to professional care.
Reporting / Meetings:
- Prepare regular reports and update Head of Center and Program Coordinator on activities as requested
- Provide support in the preparation of quarterly reports
- Attend and actively participate to weekly staff meeting;
- Participate, as requested, in workshops and coordination meetings intended to build networks in the area of work and improve professional knowledge and skills relevant to assigned responsibilities.
Management and Administration:
- Active involvement in the planning, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation and follow up of activities of the community center in collaboration with the Head of Center
- In collaboration with the Head of Center prepare monthly budgets and monitor and document expenses
- Coordinate and oversee the work of volunteers
- Respond to ad hoc requests from Amel HQ
- Take the lead on presenting the work at Amel for international guest and donors
- Other duties as assigned
Terms of work
- The work schedule is 8 hours/day, 5 days/week. Generally, this is 4 work week days (Monday-Friday) plus one weekend day.
- The majority of the work hours should be during times when beneficiaries are in the center, in order to facilitate counselling sessions and monitor activities. Thus, hours are flexible but generally from 12pm-8pm.
- The Social Worker will be reporting to the Head of Center.
Bachelors degree in social work with 3-5 years of experience.
Working with children and educational activities, a plus.
Prior experience with international donors, a plus.
Prior experience with refugees, a plus.
3 to 5 years
Education degree: Bachelor DegreeField of education: Bachelors degree in social work or related field
Arabic: FluentEnglish: ExcellentFrench:
Period: One year renewable
Submission guidelines: Please submit your CV and short note indicating why you are qualified for this position. Applications without these items will not be considered. We are looking to hire as soon as possible and will be reviewing CVs on a rolling basis.