Deadline for applications:Friday, November 30, 2012
Part time position
Location: Haret Hreik (Southern Suburbs of Beirut)
Amel Association is expanding its education activities in the suburbs of Beirut and is seeking an Education Officer to be based in Amel's Community Center to support a UNHCR funded program. The program supports a remedial education program through 'after-school' support for refugees. Remedial education classes are conducted in Amel's Community Center in Haret Hreik.In addition, Amel is coordinating and organizing psychosocial activities with the children enrolled in remedial education.
The Education Officer will be responsible for a)enrolling children in Amel's educational programs, b)coordinating, supervising, and hiring qualified teachers, c) participate in reporting to the Educational Coordinator, d) identifying logistic support needed.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the educational activities for children.
- Assess the needs and priorities of the targeted beneficiaries and define suitable activities based on a participatory approach;
- Select and recruit the required teachers and trainers;
- Assist the Head of Center in the identification of training modules to be provided to teachers when needed (on mediation techniques and know how pertaining to children/youth psychosocial wellbeing among others);
- Set up appropriate timetable for study station, remedial classes, accelerated learning program for drop outs children, outings, for example;
- Assess needs for supplies and materials to conduct the activities, prepare list of requirements and allocate and arrange space for the different activities;
- Follow-up attendance of children and teachers, report absences and propose appropriate measures when needed.
Monitoring and evaluation:
- Assess the impact of the activities on children by designing and filling evaluation tools :
- Create a file for each child
- Evaluate school results on a regular basis
- Follow-up and organize interviews with school teachers and school administration
- Organize a monthly meeting with teachers and trainers
- Organize at least one general meeting per semester with all parent-
Assess the educational and psychosocial activities and propose corrective measures.
- Respond to queries and requests for report to the Educational Coordinator
Facilitate Social counseling:
- Provide information and arrange social counseling for individual cases namely children and adolescents at risk (children with school difficulties, drop outs…)
- In coordination with the social worker for children, consult with parents and teachers, to identify problems such as truancy and misbehavior, and to implement solutions;
- Create, develop and maintain an appropriate network of schools, institutions, NGOs and relevant partners in the concerned field of activities;
- Organize referrals and follow-up cases.
- Arrange social counseling for women seeking for assistance in educational and social field;
- Create, develop and maintain an appropriate network of institutions, NGOs and relevant partners in the concerned field of activity;
- Organize referrals and follow-up cases.
The Education Officer will assist the Head of Center and Educational Coordinator in developing full understanding of the refugee population profile in Lebanon, their protection concerns and needs by:
Conducting field/home visits as needed
Conducting surveys and studies as requested
Coordinating with other NGOs
Reporting / Meetings
- Input data and information into RAIS (UNHCR database) in a timely manner
- Prepare regular reports: such as monthly information sheet and other reports assigned by the head of center
- Summaries on each implemented activity once achieved
- Attend and actively participate in weekly staff meetings;
- Participate, as requested, in workshops and coordination meetings intended to improve professional knowledge and skills relevant to assigned responsibilities.
- Assist the Head of Center in budgeting , planning, monitoring, evaluation and follow up on all educational activities of the community center;
- Mobilize community support and participation in the various community based activities;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
3 to 5 years
Education degree: Bachelor DegreeField of education: Bachelor's degree in education, social work or related field.
Arabic: FluentEnglish: Very GoodFrench:
Period: One year renewable
Submission guidelines: Please submit your CV, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with "EDUCATION OFFICER" in the subject line. Applications not following these guidelines will not be considered.